TiVo HD's remote and the Olevia 537H HDTV

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by lament, Aug 5, 2007.

1. Aug 5, 2007 #1 of 38
    lament

lament New Member

Jul 5, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    Anyone have a 537H?

When the CC issues are resolved I'm going to pull the trigger, but I'm wondering if the TiVo remote can learn the 537H, as other universal remotes seems to have issues with learning this HDTV.

Thanks!

2. Aug 5, 2007 #2 of 38
    sting0r

sting0r New Member

Jul 11, 2002
    Are you talking about the Series 3 Glo Remote? I have the 337H and a Tivo HD. The stock remote didn't have codes, so I ordered the programable Series 3 Glo remote. I hope it can learn the Olevia codes or I just blew 50 bucks for no reason.

Where did you read other universal remotes have problems learning the codes? OR do you just mean that other remotes dont have the new Olevia codes?

3. Aug 5, 2007 #3 of 38
    lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    The Glo will not learn the codes for this TV, I tried an old learning remote an it could not learn the codes, I don't know what this TV is using for codes but it sucks.

4. Aug 5, 2007 #4 of 38
    sting0r

sting0r New Member

Jul 11, 2002

http://www.wkblog.com/2007/06/the_learning_aspects_of_the_ti.html

It's a brief post, but says it works with Olevia. If this is true I am screwed and wasted $50. I searched around a bit, but couldn't find anything. Which model did you try to program the Glo remote with? I guess I will try it and then put it on ebay if it doesn't work. Anyone want to buy a brand new glo remote....

5. Aug 5, 2007 #5 of 38
    lament

lament New Member

Jul 5, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    Sorry I should've been clearer..

Not the more expensive Series 3, the $299 TiVo HD with the regular remote.

6. Aug 6, 2007 #6 of 38
    lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    I think the link has things backwards as my Glo does work my Sony HDTV and not my Olevia HDTV

7. Aug 6, 2007 #7 of 38
    mike_camden

mike_camden New Member

Dec 11, 2006
    We have the Olevia 23 LCD TV in my wife's study. I've yet to find the codes for a universal remoteto work with it. Apparently (according to Olevia), they changed the code system last year when the released last year's model of LCDs. My only luck has been with a learning remote.

8. Aug 6, 2007 #8 of 38
    ResidentDoc

ResidentDoc New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Harrisburg, PA
    I have the 232V, and after MUCH trial and error, I was able to get the Glo to learn the codes. It was a tedious process, and there were enough oddities that I ended up switching to a Harmony 880.

In essence, it was all about timing. Once the Glo is in learning mode, you choose the key you want to program (power, volume up, volume down, or input). At this point, you aim the remotes at each other and press the cooresponding key on the original remote. The Glo will indicate that it learned the function (flash of the led), but most of the time it did not. For me, it was a matter of how long I held the button on the Olivia remote. If memory serves, the power button had to be very quick, the volume buttons longer. For one of the functions (I don't remember which) I had to point the Olivia remote in a different direction, hold the button, and then quickly pass the remote in front of the Glo. Like I said....it was tedious! In the end, all the buttons worked, but I could never get the volume control tweaked just right. The volume down control would usually move just one step at a time (multiple presses to decrease the sound), whereas the volume up could be pressed and held. Sometimes pressing the volume down would cause the volume to increase instead. Final result.....it worked, but there was too much danger of repeated "why does the remote do XYZ" discussions for my liking. YMMV.

Incidentally, I have an old learning remote (One for All Home Producer 8) that learned the Olivia codes no problem. Go figure.

All that being said, I have to say that I really like the Harmony 880 with the Olivia. It took a little tweaking as well to get the delays set up just right, but it's working with enough reliability that it's the only remote we use in that room. One button and the television turns on, switches to the correct input, starts the DVD, etc, etc. And its rechargeable. Sweet.

9. Aug 6, 2007 #9 of 38
    JamieP

JamieP Member

Aug 2, 2004
    I have an Olevia 537 and I had no problem teaching the glo remote its power and input select commands. There are also JP1 files for it, but, alas, no discrete input selects.

10. lament

lament New Member

Jul 5, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    hmm.. does anyone have the regular TiVo HD peanut remote and a 537H?

11. swampass2

swampass2 New Member

Oct 16, 2004
    Ditto. I had no problems teaching my Series 3 Glo remote to work with my 537. The only issue I have is that the input select works more slowly on my Glo than on my URC (with JP1). I tried reteaching the input select button and it didn't help. Still works, just a little slower.

12. JamieP

JamieP Member

Aug 2, 2004
    I do, but I haven't attempted to learn anything on it. I didn't think it was a learning remote.

13. lament

lament New Member

Jul 5, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    My old series 2 learned the power and input buttons, which is all I care about.

14. dnorth12

dnorth12 Member

Feb 10, 2005
    Kent, WA
    I don't know that this will actually do you any good:

When I programmed my logitech harmony remote for what I believe is the olevia 437 (not at home - so just guessing at model number) the logitech website came back with Syntax-Brillian as the manufacturer for code reference. Contacting Syntax-Brillian might help you solve your problem.

Good luck

15. sting0r

sting0r New Member

Jul 11, 2002
    Thanks for the replies. It good to hear people were able to program there Glo remote, even though it make take some playing around. Just didn't want to waste all that money.

Now if I can figure out why the TV shuts off randomly when you press buttons on other remotes shortly after it boots up, I will make my family happy....

16. lament

lament New Member

Jul 5, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    yeah I'll do some more research. I was just hoping someone had a 537H, a TiVo HD and had successfully programmed a non-Glo remote.

17. jtholle

jtholle New Member

Nov 29, 2006
    I have the same problem. My 337H shuts off as soon as I hit the tivo button. However, it only seems to do this after I first turn the TV on. Later on it seems I can hit the tivo button and everything works fine. Definitely let me know if you figure anything out. I will do the same.

18. Lensman

Lensman Member

Dec 22, 2001
    Hoboken, NJ...
    Oh my goodness. I want to thank the OP as this thread clued me in to the fact that the Glo remote that came with my Series 3 was a learning remote. (I need to learn to RTFM)

My issue with the lack of remote codes for my cheapo A-Star LCD HDTV are solved!

19. sting0r

sting0r New Member

Jul 11, 2002
    Just got my Glo remote today and it works perfectly with my 337h. I highly recommend it!

20. saramj

saramj New Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Jersey