Tivo HD ???

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by sniperlv, Aug 18, 2007.

1. sniperlv

sniperlv Member

Jan 17, 2001
    Las Vegas
    So after reading this part of the forum for the past few days. I have decided to get the HD model Tivo. Can't let you guys have all the fun with pixelization :). I wasn't going to purchase one until they had the MRV ready, but hopefully they will have that soon. I have already scheduled an install with Cox Phoenix for Sunday morning. Now I have a few questions.

Do I need a phone line to do the initial setup? Hope not because I have Voip and not sure that will go over to well.

Before Cox gets here on Sunday do I need to register the box and put it on my account? Will this work without the Cable Cards?

After all is said and done I am gaining around 27 more channels including Showtime. and saving like $6.00 bucks a month after paying Tivo the $6.95.

2. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Disclaimer

Be aware that the $270 TivoHD currently suffers from random pixelization on most cable systems that use Scientific Atlanta CableCards. Some find this tolerable while others do not. Tivo is working on a software update to eliminate that issue, but if your cable company uses Scientific Atlanta CableCards, you might want to hold off until that update is released, especially if you are picky about video glitches.

On the other hand, if your cable company uses Motorola CableCards, then the TivoHD is absolutely fantastic with the latest software update. Run, not walk, to buy the TivoHD if your cable system uses Motorola CableCards.

Generally, if a provider uses Scientific Atlanta boxes, they use Scientific Atlanta CableCards. Likewise, if a provider uses Motorola boxes, then they use Motorola CableCards.

You need either a phone line or broadband Internet. Broadband Internet is preferred. You can 1) run ethernet cable from your router directly to the TivoHD, 2) use a ethernet -> wireless bridge (these are sold as wireless gaming adapters), or 3) you can buy the Tivo wireless adapter.

If you can't use the broadband connection, the TivoHD will work over the phone line with most VoIP services, but downloads take much longer that way. Obviously, the downloads are much faster when using broadband Internet. Connecting the Tivo to your network also allows you to take advantage of the Tivo's home network features, such as Internet video downloads.

You have 7 days to register the box and then another 30 days after that to cancel.

The TivoHD will work without CableCards but you won't get your subscription digital cable channels without them.

3. Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest

The reception was fair, until the cards were introduced to the Tivo, then the pixelation problerms began...

Good luck with your setup...

4. TiVotion

TiVotion Early Adoptersaurus

Dec 6, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    First of all, I have to say, WOW! Your cable company works on Sunday? I wish ours did around here.

I would get the box plugged in and set up as soon as possible. Walk all the way through guided setup. TiVo will tell you you need cablecards, but just continue on anyway. You can complete setup without them. Once setup finishes, it will take serveral hours to load and properly index the guide data. Give it several hours. Later on today, or early tomorrow before the installer comes, I would force several connections to the TiVo service to download the latest software version. To see if you've got it, you'll need to go into the system information screen (Messages and Settings > Account & System Info > System Info). Page down, and if you see the Status: "Pending Restart", you can manually re-start TiVo (Messages and Settings > Restart or Reset > Restart) to load the new software. Once restarted, your new software version should be "8.1.7b2-01-2-652".

If you do this, you might be able to have the latest software version before the cablecards are installed (which may or may not prevent you from noticing some of the macroblocking issues that have been reported as your first viewing experience). It's also ok to get the software update after the cards are installed, but you'll get a head start this way.

5. sniperlv

sniperlv Member

Jan 17, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Thanks for the fast replies. Yup they work on Sundays I was kinda shocked myself. So after going to Circuit City to get the HD Tivo I decided to go ahead and upgrade my entire room where I am putting the HD Tivo. So I picked me up a 50 inch Plasma and a stand also. This 300 dollar Tivo has costed me 2k now. This TV / Tivo stuff is is like a Crack addiction. :)

6. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Hope you also got the 4-year service plans on everything, home installation, tv callibration, power center surge protectors, complete new cabling, upgrade to your broadband, wireless adaptor, and oh, don't forget the 5.1 surrund sound home theater system.

If not, you'll be ready for another "fix" later tonight.

7. sniperlv

sniperlv Member

Jan 17, 2001
    Las Vegas
    No I just got the extended warranty on the TV. Had the surround sound, surge protectors, broadband by ethernet cable already behind TV. Hope I don't need another fix tonight. If I do my GF will have to get another job. :)

8. navman

navman New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    Any luck with getting tivohd hooked up?

9. CCourtney

CCourtney Member

Mar 28, 2006
    El Dorado...
    FWIW, I was able to set up my TiVo HD over VoIP line (Vonage)

I recently moved to a new house and don't have Ethernet pulled everywhere yet and my generic WiFi USB Network adapter wouldn't work and my 50ft Ethernet Cable wasn't long enough (Router downstairs SE corner of house, Home Theater upstairs NW corner of house.) Needless to say I got the TiVo Wireless G the next day.

CCourtney