tivo HD won't power up

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Mastiff, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Mastiff

Mastiff Member

Sep 25, 2006
    Had to unplug the box and now it won't power up at all, like totally dead, no lights, no fan. I assume I'm done for, but is this by chance a known thing with a solution?

2. robomeister

robomeister DVD TiVo Expert

Feb 4, 2005
    Beltsville, MD
    Mastiff,

With most TiVos, there is very little that can fail. So it is either the hard drive or the power supply, or in rare cases, the motherboard. But if you were just moving the TiVo, it is most likely the power supply has failed. You could wait for the TiVo to cool down and try again. The TiVo might come back to life.

There are several threads that talk about bad capacitors in the power supply. A bad capacitor will be bulged or it might have vented (there will be brown stuff on the capacitor). It's an cheap and easy fix to replace the caps if you have skills with a soldering iron. And you buy the right caps. Again, look in the threads that talk about bad caps.

You'll have to open up the case (with a Torx 10 or 15 bit) to look at the caps on the power supply. Make sure the TiVo is not plugged in when you open the case, as the power supply is unshielded and can give you a severe shock if you touch the wrong thing. There are about 10-15 caps that can go bad. Bulging or vented caps are bad, but sometimes a cap will go bad with no physical indication. Unitron has an excellent tutorial on how to check the DC outputs on the power supply that will limit the potential of getting shocked.

The hard drive might have failed, too. But you should get something on the screen, even if the hard drive is bad. And you should get lights on the front panel.

Good luck,
    robomeister

3. Mastiff

Mastiff Member

Sep 25, 2006
    Thanks for the help. I'll pop it open and see if something's obvious. I see they have OTA tivos new for $50 now, so it's not worth too much effort.

I'm not impressed with the way tivo makes the upgrade process as painful as possible - call on the phone to cancel old service, buy new device online, start from scratch, etc. Seems like they could make the process more painless. I think I'll look into Hulu plus, since all we do is record OTA network shows anyway.

4. Wil

Wil Unknown Member

Sep 26, 2002
    If you decide to go with a new one, does the HD have lifetime?

5. Mastiff

Mastiff Member

Sep 25, 2006
    I don't understand the question.

6. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    He wants to know if your HD has lifetime service, or have you been paying monthly?

7. Mastiff

Mastiff Member

Sep 25, 2006
    No, month to month.

Looks like I am stuck with tivo too. A brief look at Hulu shows it to be missing "Elementary", one of my favorite network shows.

8. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    You might be able to get a $99 lifetime subscription on that HD, especially if you're also buying a new TiVo from them.

If it is the power supply, that's an inexpensive fix if you can use a soldering iron.

In what part of the country are you?

9. Mastiff

Mastiff Member

Sep 25, 2006
    Pardon my ignorance, but do they still sell the HD? And why would they give a great deal on the service for outdated hardware? I may not be properly comprehending their business model.

I can certainly solder on a cap if I can identify which one to replace. I'm in Arizona.

Thanks.

10. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    You would probably need to address several caps, but if you can do it then there are packages of caps you can find here.

Upgrading is done once in a while, so that is normally not a big deal.

Tivo keeping an account in service is a sunk cost, $99 for lifetime is one way to keep subscriptions longer. Some will get the box working, upgrade, then sell for financing a new box. Tivo may also give you a deal to get a newer box if you call them.

11. Mastiff

Mastiff Member

Sep 25, 2006
    I ended up just springing for a new Roamio OTA. $15/month is the bummer about it, but I'm back in business. I'm not totally convinced I like how it integrates everything into the new "now playing" equivalent, since it's now full of empty folders or whatever. Not as easy to quickly see what's new since last time.

Anyway, I now have the HD laying around (I was unable to find any visibly bad components on the power supply board). Is it of any value, or just trash at this point? The closest I see on Ebay is the same thing with lifetime service going for $40...

12. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If there's a lifetimed HD (TCD652160) on eBay I suspect it'll get bid up a good deal higher than that $40 before it times out.

Without lifetime a working one isn't going to command much of a price, and a dead one is likely to attract almost no interest, unless it's someone like me who's willing to roll the dice on being able to fix it.

Going by the symptoms I'd say yours is almost certainly suffering from a power supply problem and I'd be glad to pay the postage for you to mail it to me if you were willing. Feel free to PM me about it.

Have you been a TiVo customer/subscriber for at least 10 years?

They've been offering a deal where you get a Roamio with lifetime for an overall pretty good price--maybe you can retroactive that.

Even if only 9 years and something, there's nothing to lose by calling them and asking.

It's possible that you've got caps that went bad without showing outward signs, so only a check with a voltmeter of the DC outputs would tell you for sure.

Or it could be that the fuse on the power supply blew. Sometimes they do that "just because" even if there isn't an overload.