Tivo HD won't play mp3's

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by BiloxiGeek, Dec 25, 2007.

1. BiloxiGeek

BiloxiGeek DeleteAccount

Nov 18, 2001
    DeleteAccount
    Seeing a strange problem with playing mp3's from my XP box on my Tivo HD. I can bring up the published folder of music, select artist, album and then song and hit play but nothing is actually played. The time bar just sits there at 0 seconds and nothing happens.

I'm fairly certain the mp3 files are just fine cause I can play them without any problem on my Tivo DT and older Series 2. It's just the HD that has this problem and it seems to be effecting all my music not just select files.

After reading some similar threads here I tried publishing the same folder of music through Galleon. Music that plays just fine on the Dual Tuner still won't play on the HD.

2. jtkohl

jtkohl Member

Feb 6, 2004
    Arlington,...
    I had just this problem a couple of days ago--MP3s served by both TiVoDesktop and Galleon would show as 0 seconds and nothing plays.

Rebooting my S3 cleared the problem.

3. BiloxiGeek

BiloxiGeek DeleteAccount

Nov 18, 2001
    DeleteAccount
    A reboot? What is this Win95?? hehee Did that and yep it fixed the problem. Hate having to resort to a reboot to fix things.

4. ineffablebob

ineffablebob New Member

May 23, 2011
    I know this is an old thread, but it popped up when I was searching for this exact problem and I don't see a solution. I have exactly the same issue described above, for any streaming music, and my HD Premiere. Doesn't matter what application is being used: the Pandora app, pyTivo, Jukebox, you name it. Everything will work fine for a while, then suddenly no music will play, with the progress bar for any music just sitting at zero. I reboot the Tivo, everything works again for a while...rinse and repeat.

Is there any solution to this? I love using the Tivo as a music player when it works, but having to reboot it constantly makes it useless.

5. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    There is no fix. The one thing you might try, if you're using pyTivo, is to set "force_ffmpeg = true" in your music shares. I think it's very slightly more stable this way. However, my testing hasn't been that rigorous.

6. ineffablebob

ineffablebob New Member

May 23, 2011
    Well, that's disappointing. Thanks for the info, though. Guess I'll be looking to run some sort of jukebox from a computer instead of through the Tivo.

7. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    A couple more points:

- Most often, the playing stops when you've been skipping tracks. If you avoid skipping, it can work indefinitely.
    - In this situation, although automatic play of the next track fails, you can usually get it to continue, by (ironically) manually changing tracks (including skipping). And sometimes it will then continue to work without intervention.