Tivo HD won't lock on HDMI switch

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by isbellHFh, Mar 7, 2008.

1. isbellHFh

isbellHFh New Member

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta GA

Advertisements

So I have a monoprice 5x1 HDMI switcher feeding into a 1x8 monoprice splitter. The switcher is being driven by a DirecTiVo, a TiVo HD, and an Apple TV.

I've been having this odd behavior lately: when I switch from the DirecTiVo to the TiVo HD the TiVo HD won't notice the switch and lock (eventually I get "no signal" and usually no amount of button pushing on the TiVo HD gets it to wake up). If I go downstairs and unplug and replug one of the HDMI cables, it locks in fine.

Now, if I switch to the TiVo HD get the black screen, switch to the Apple TV, get it active then switch *back* to the TiVo HD it then locks. This doesn't always work because the Apple TV will sometimes just go completely asleep if I don't do anything with it for several days, but anyway.

I never have *any* problem with the DirecTiVo in this regard. No matter how long I wait, I can always switch back to the DirecTiVo and get it to lock in (it's also in the first connector slot of the switcher).

Anyone have any ideas of what's going on? Anyone else seen similar behavior? Is there a better fix than what I've got?

2. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I have NEVER used anything HDMI.. but I listen to the HDTV podcast..

Is this HDMI switcher HDCP 1.3 compliant? Could that be the problem?

Just a wild guess.

3. isbellHFh

isbellHFh New Member

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta GA
    I'm pretty sure it is.

4. erikg

erikg Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Let me start by saying that I might be wrong. My understanding of switches and splitters comes from the networking (IT) side so there in lies my possible fault.

If I understand it correctly your HDMI switch creates a handshake between itself and the Tivo and says "hey i'm a switch what are you?" and the tivo replies with a "hi i'm a tivo wheres the tv?" and the switch says "hey let me find out." So with your splitter if your display is not on and already on the correct input and the splitter has already said "hey switch give me a second I think I have the display" and by the time you hit the display and it goes back to your tivo the HDMI handshake has timed out.

Have you tried not using the splitter? I'm not sure which model you have but the splitter hopefully isn't a passive splitter and is active and powered to facilitate the hdmi handshake.

Additionally you mention it is an 8 output splitter. Do all the displays have the same problem?

5. JonathanMeyers

JonathanMeyers New Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Plano Texas

Advertisements

Yeah, there does seem to be a problem with the TiVO HD and a HDMI Switch. I have an ACCELL HDMI switch connected to 2 TiVO HD's. Sometimes when I switch bewteen the TiVO's, the TiVO doesn't seem to provide the correct handshake and all I get is a gray screen. Prior to having the 2 TiVO HD's connected to the ACCELL HDMI switch, I had 2 other HDMI devices connected and I never had a problem.

6. isbellHFh

isbellHFh New Member

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta GA
    Yes they do. But the way it works is that the splitter takes its HDMI information from the TV in the first slot (and if it turns off, I think it keeps it around). I've tried switching which TV is in the first slot but it doesn't seem to matter.

Sigh.

7. isbellHFh

isbellHFh New Member

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta GA
    When you get the gray screen what do you do to fix it?

8. Pokeyjoe

Pokeyjoe New Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Long Beach, CA
    I am on my fourth HDMI switch. All I'm trying to do is combine two HDMI inputs (DVD and TiVo) to a single output for the TV. All four switches behaved differently. Monoprice has already refunded my money on two of their switches because they wouldn't work. Since I have a component video input available on the TV, I'm going to go back to using that for my TiVo. No HDMI switch - no problem.