TiVo HD with DirecTV with centralized satellite in large condo building

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by MarkSFCA, Aug 29, 2007.

1. MarkSFCA

MarkSFCA Member

Oct 18, 2004
    San...
    Does anyone get DirecTV through a centralized satellite on the roof of a large condo building? For example, the satellite is on the roof of the condo building and the units in the building do NOT have their own individual satellites but instead get DirecTV through a cable outlet coming out of the wall in their units.

The reason I ask is because my condo building is considering upgrading to this type of set up and I was wondering if the new TiVo HD would work with this type of set up.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    My suggestion is that the condo upgrade using the new SWM system. This allows all sats to be carried on one cable. However, SWM isn't widely available yet.

3. MarkSFCA

MarkSFCA Member

Oct 18, 2004
    San...
    I am not familiar with the SWM system. Do you know of a website where I can learn more about it?

4. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    Do a search on "single wire multiswitch" at http://www.dbstalk.com.

Note that the new Tivo HD is not compatible with any DirecTV satellite equipment. You'll need a DirecTV HR20 HD DVR to receive DirecTV's new HD channels launching in September.

5. BobCamp1

BobCamp1 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2002
    Umm... the OP could be talking about the system used in a hotel. DirecTV receivers aren't needed in each apartment, but the lineup would be unique to his apartment building. If this is the case, you can call Tivo up and they'll add your apartment complex to the list. This kind of system should work with a Tivo HD for the SD channels.

However, I have no idea how the HD signals get to all the TVs. This is why everyone else is taking about the SWM solution, which is in no way compatible with anything Tivo makes.

6. MarkSFCA

MarkSFCA Member

Oct 18, 2004
    San...
    You are correct BobCamp1. I use a series 2 TiVo with our current satellite system similar to the way you would use a cable system since the cable comes out straight from the wall. (There are two satellites on the roof that serve all 150 units in the building)

The new systems would potentially be similar and each unit would be able to upgrade to receive HD channels.

That's why I was wondering in the new TiVo HD would work with this type of set up since it would plug into the TiVo straight from the wall using a coax cable.

7. BobCamp1

BobCamp1 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2002
    I think coax cable can support HD signals for around 100 feet or so. You might have to upgrade to RG-6 cable for distribution if you already haven't. So it would be exactly like how you'd get HD from a cable company. In which case, the Tivo HD should work. The lineup is the biggest issue, but a call to TIvo should fix that.

You wouldn't have any CableCards to deal with, yet you'd get HD content. Sounds like the best of both worlds.

8. MarkSFCA

MarkSFCA Member

Oct 18, 2004
    San...
    Thanks BobCamp1! I think and hope you are correct. Our committee is meeting with Comcast tonight and with Dish next week. I'm just hoping that any new system we invest in will be able to support TiVo HD since I hope to buy one in a your or so. I already have a dual tuner TiVo that I use with our current DirectTV system and it works great except the reception isn't ideal. We probably need to upgrade the cabling in the walls of the condo building.