TiVo HD with CC -- what to do before installer arrives??

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by dogboy, Nov 20, 2008.

1. dogboy

dogboy New Member

Jan 31, 2003

Advertisements

I am currently running a Series 2 TIVO with expanded cable provided by Astound Broadband. I am having a TiVo HD delivered this afternoon and an Astound installer will be here tomorrow to install a cable card.

Do I set-up my TiVo before the installer gets here to save some time? Any value to running Guided Setup before my cable card is here or is it best to wait and do everything once the installer arrives? Is there anything else I can do in anticipation of my cable card installation tomorrow to help things go more smoothly?

2. A J Ricaud

A J Ricaud Active Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Hacienda...
    Yes, running Guided Setup is a good idea. You will save much time this way before the cable people arrive. You can re-run Guided Setup to add CableCards after they are installed.

3. ct1

ct1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jun 27, 2003
    Maryland
    TiVo HD has an instruction sheet that says something like "What to do before the CC installer arrives". Do that stuff.

4. dogboy

dogboy New Member

Jan 31, 2003
    Thanks! I will check out the instruction manual once it gets here.

5. RoyK

RoyK New Member

Oct 22, 2004
    SW VA

Advertisements

Suggest you have it connect to the tivo service until it gets a service update (Messages & Settings/Settings/Phone & Network/Connect to the TiVo service now). It may take several attempts before it gets the update.

You can tell if it got the update by checking the same menu item after the connection finishes. If it says at the top "Pending Restart" then it got the update.

When it does use Messages & Settings/Restart or Reset System/Restart to install the update. It will take a while to install but you will have the latest software when it finishes.

6. jondar

jondar New Member

Aug 15, 2004
    I just noticed that with the latest update, there is now a new option: When it asks if you have cablecard(s) installed, besides Yes or No, it now allows you to choose "I'm going to install them later, use digital lineup" (not the exact wording.) Since my cablecard install is rescheduled to today (RCN didn't bring an Mcard yesterday) I decided to give this a try. So far, it looks to work fine, and it's pulling guide data for all the digital channels even though it can't tune them as yet. Hopefully when the card is installed, I'll be able to check that the digital channels are working and be all ready to go.

Nice change, TiVo!

7. spolebitski

spolebitski Member

Mar 30, 2006
    I would suggest just set it up. I know it will be hard, let the tech do his job, he will most likely be clueless but it his job. Before had check to see what HD channels you should get (and not with SDV), make sure before the tech leaves that you have all of your HD Channels.

8. Ladd Morse

Ladd Morse Member

Feb 21, 2002
    I just had a single Multi-Stream CableCard installed in my new TiVo HD last week -- the Comcast installer said he had never had an install go so quickly. Perhaps I just got lucky; perhaps I made my own luck.

If it is of any help, here's what I had done.

I had the TiVo HD connected for five days before the installer arrived. I had hooked it up to a cable wire, a roof antenna wire and a phone wire, and immediately run Guided Setup for "cable and antenna". I was able to view numerous antenna channels and all the cable channels that did not require a CableCard. The channels that DID require a CableCard to view, were listed in the "Channels I Receive" lineup but they had an asterisk (*) next to them. The asterisk went away and the channels were viewable after the CableCard installation.

The Tivo came with software version 8.x (I don't recall the exact version) and it took two or three days before the upgrade to 9.x came down during one of the TiVo's daily calls.

The above is pretty much what the "What to do before the installer arrives" instructions that are included in the TiVo carton. Run Guided setup, connect to the TiVo service multiple times to ensure the TiVo is fully up to date.

9. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    And don't let the installer leave until you verify ALL of the channels work. If they test a local HD channel, then of course it will work. But the real test is if encrypted digital channels work. Local channels are never encrypted so that isn't a test.