Tivo HD & What 500 gb Drive?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Warhawks, Aug 18, 2007.

1. Warhawks

Warhawks New Member

Apr 8, 2007
    I am purchasing a Tivo HD within the next month and would like to replace the existing drive with a 500 gb drive. If you were me, which drive would you purchase to get the best quality drive that will last the longest and give me the least amount of problems?

Any thoughts are appreciated! Thanks!

2. richsadams

richsadams Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2003
    Seagate DB35 7200.3 series. Specifically designed for DVR use.

3. Warhawks

Warhawks New Member

Apr 8, 2007
  4. captain_video

captain_video Member

Feb 28, 2002
    No, but it's still not a bad choice. The DB35 drives (aka 7200.3 models) are the same as any other Seagate drive but have a firmware upgrade that's supposed to make them better suited for DVR use. Reports are that they don't really perform any better than standard Seagate drives that cost way less, but YMMV. FYI - Circuit City had the same 500GB SATA drive on sale this week for $109. Either the Seagate you suggested or a WD SATA drive would be my recommendation. If you really feel the need and don't mind spending extra bucks for a little peace of mind, then go ahead and spring for the DB35 drive. After all, it's only money.

5. richsadams

Jan 4, 2003
    No, they are not the same type of drive. This one from excaliberpc.com would be what you're looking for.

DB35 drives are used exclusively by professional upgrade suppliers such as The TiVo Community Store, Weaknees and are not sold in retail stores. They are manufactured specifically for for DVR use. They are designed to run 24/7, never spin down and have additional features which are not part of the standard HDD offering. A number of "standard" retail drives are proving to be problematic at this point and the DB35's are the recommended drive to use.

6. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    I have had a Maxtor QuickView 500gb in my Series3 for about 8 months now, and it works perfectly. Very quiet too. It was around $100 (I bought 3 and put one in my PowerMac G5 and have the other one as a spare.)

7. Warhawks

Warhawks New Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Great, thanks. It says it is on backorder for now...I will have to keep checking back I guess. Looks to be a solid performer. Should fit the bill! :up:

8. danjw1

danjw1 Member

Sep 13, 2005
  9. Warhawks

Warhawks New Member

Apr 8, 2007
    WOO! Awesome...I will check it out...and thanks for the other link through the nerds.

10. richsadams

Jan 4, 2003
  11. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
  12. richsadams

Jan 4, 2003
  13. Warhawks

Warhawks New Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Nice catch, I will be sure to order the right one! Plus, on thenerds.com it qualifies for the $10 off!

I presume this isn't that hard to do? Just take off the cover, unscrew old drive, put in new drive and put cover back on...then just turn it on and you are good to go?

14. moxie1617

moxie1617 Member

Jan 4, 2004
    Chicago...
    Nope, Rich gave you the instructions for expanding with an external e-sata drive and enclosure, the Antec MX-1. You can't do that yet on the Tivo HD. Someone else can help you with the details but you are going to have to clone and expand the existing drive onto your new drive.

Rich has the e-SATA expansion on his mind since he has been actively helping us S3 owners with our e-SATA expansions and trouble shooting.

15. richsadams

Jan 4, 2003
    Aurgh! Apologies. :eek: I'll delete and try to focus on what thread I'm on. Sigh.

16. richsadams

Jan 4, 2003
    You'll have to image the new drive before you install it. This thread has more info.

17. Warhawks

Warhawks New Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Man, I am learning so much from you guys! I will have to take a look at that other thread to see how easy it is...I am thinking after a CC coupon and buying the hard drive online, I hope to have a Tivo HD with 500 gb for around $400...and use my lifetime service card on it...so now you can kind of see why I want to get it set up real nice!

18. Bruzer

Bruzer Member

Jul 8, 2005
    Corvallis, OR
  19. captain_video

captain_video Member

Feb 28, 2002
    That is correct. All Tivos other than the S3 and Tivo HD models use IDE/PATA drives. The S3 and Tivo HD are the only ones that currently use SATA drives. Most likely, any future Tivo models will also use SATA drives since that seems to be where the industry is heading.

20. Warhawks

Warhawks New Member

Apr 8, 2007
    After researching...I think I may be over my head here...