TiVo HD vs Series3 (eSATA; Macroblocking)

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by hotwire132002, Aug 18, 2007.

1. hotwire132002

hotwire132002 New Member

Jul 24, 2005

Advertisements

I love my Series2... but I plan to buy an HD TiVo soon... it's a matter of which model.

I've read about macroblocking/pixellation issues on the TiVo HD -- my understanding is that these problems ar only occuring on the TiVo HD, and not the Series3? Obviously, if the pixellation only occurs on the TiVo HD, I would be inclined to buy the Series3.

My other concern is storage -- I realize the TiVo HD has an eSATA port, but it sounds like it's deactivated, whereas the Series3 allows its use. Are there any estimates out there regarding when the eSATA port on the TiVo HD might be usable?

I'm feeling like the Series3 is going to be the only way for me to go, but I'd love to save the $300 and go with the TiVo HD if possible.

Thanks for any input!

2. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    Don't think we really needed another new thread for this ... your questions are covered in multiple threads here.

Start here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=362882

In a nutshell:

Some users of S3 report some pixelization, but not to the degree that some THD users are, especially those with SA CableCARDs.

The eSATA port works, but is not officially supported on the S3.

The eSATA port will presumably be enabled on the THD when Tivo introduces a Tivo branded eSATA drive.

If you want expanded storage on a THD box, there are multiple options to upgrade the internal drive.

3. hotwire132002

hotwire132002 New Member

Jul 24, 2005
    Sorry... should have searched more throughly. :eek:

Thanks for your help, though!

4. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    If your cable provider uses Motorola CableCards, the TivoHD works just as well as the Series3.

If your cable provider uses Scientific Atlanta CableCards, then the Series3 works better -- for now.

With the release of the WinMFS upgrade utility for Windows, it is very easy to upgrade the internal drive.

5. Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest

Advertisements

I would suggest you invest in the THX version of Tivo, it is a tad more pricey but you are not alone in the desire in increase the storage ability of your Tivo.

I'm going to return my Tivo HD for the other Series 3 version... It's a shame that there is an SATA port that serves no purpose at this time.

Don't worry bout making a thread that was covered before... One can't be expected to read all the 14 pages, course there will always be some one to point out to you otherwise...

Go with the Series 3 Tivo, then add an external drive to provent voiding any warranty implied, or otherwise stated...