Tivo HD- Upgrade- help

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by Mfusick, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Mfusick

Mfusick New Member

Aug 25, 2011
    A few days ago my tivo started restarting- after the intro video it restarts again.

I believe it is a failed hard drive.

I want to replace the drive. I can buy a 1TB or 2TB from WD or Hitachi cheap ($60)

Does it matter what drive or size I get?

Also, I have torx set- but I lack the image file.

Where can I get a download to install the tivo software onto my new drive before installing it? I want to swap the bad drive with a new larger one.

HELP!

(can I get a program like instantcake free anywhere?)

2. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    You can check in the Upgrade Section of the Forum for many answers to your questions about HD types, etc. InstantCake is a product of DVRUpgrade and cannot be given out for free. You will likely be able to find an image that was captured using either MFSTools or WINMFS (they use different file formats, so an image from one will not work with the other). Are you familiar with these tools? If not, then check out the MFS Tools website for info (that is also where you can get WINMFS). Either of those tools are free but take some self-educating to use.

3. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
  4. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You may be able to use the original image off the original drive. Mfslive.org is better place to get the software to backup and restore and its free.personally, I used WinMFS and it was very easy and hardly any typing. You can use a 1 or 1.5 Tb drive with the software from the site, but for 2 Tb drive, you would need to use JMFS.

The other MFS software on the site is Linux based and you would need to do some typing and you would need to burn a CD to boot from.

5. Stuxnet

Stuxnet Alien Infidel

Feb 8, 2011
    Did you run the Kickstart diagnostics to reach that conclusion. Even with a "failed drive" you may be able to clone the image to a new HDD (unless your drive is totally unresponsive).

There are other Kickstarts that can repair a corrupted file system. Check here for more detail.