Tivo HD (unhacked), reboot, hang, and kickstart issues

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by cwerdna, Mar 14, 2010.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA

Advertisements

I've got an unmodified Tivo HD and the 1 TB My DVR Expander, both bought around end of September 09. Both have plenty of ventilation and aren't in anything enclosed. [I've hacked almost all my other Tivos before using mfslive or mfstools before and done it for others too.] The Tivo HD has a single M CableCARD which was provided by Verizon FiOS. I've been using it since day 1.

Yesterday, while paused on a show, the unit suddenly rebooted. I went to playback the same show and at some point, the unit hung in the middle of playback. My composite output (yes, not component, I sometimes watch using a video repeating with IR that is composite only) looked normal but hung.

Over either HDMI or component (forget which as my bigger TV is connected to Tivo HD via both), the hung picture looked purplish/too bright. I don't think I've ever had a random reboot/hang like this yet on my Tivo HD.

I read http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-kickstart-codes.php and http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=5643823#post5643823. Last night, I tried kickstart 54 and did the S.M.A.R.T. tests, but had to abort a couple hours into it (estimate was ~275 minutes for the secondary [expander] drive). Everything that it got thru in the SMART tests passed (it finished the longer portion of the test for he primary drive).

I did kickstart 54 again and ran the overnight tests (took 10+ hours) which passed. Today, I did kickstart 57 and did trigger the intentional GSOD. I left for at least an hour and came back and found it seemingly stuck at "Almost there. Just a few minutes more..." I pulled the plug and tried booting (no kickstarts) but same problem after MANY minutes.

I did kickstart 58 which then initiated "Installing a service update. This will take a few minutes" (!?!?) I didn't do 52, as I was going to try that next. Anyway, unit's booting fine now and I'm able to watch live TV again.

I'm still using the WD supplied eSATA cable that people say is crap but there's nothing against it to push/knock it loose and the connectors at both ends don't seem loose.

Fluke? Possibly dying drive or enclosure? I'm planning on ordering one of the recommended SIIG eSATA cables tonight. I don't think any stores around me carry it.

I'm thinking of kickstart 54 and running the SMART tests again tonight and letting them finish.

2. cwerdna

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    It looks like I had another random reboot. :(

My Desperate Housewives recording got split into 2 and is missing 9 minutes in the middle. :( When I noticed this, I checked DVR Diagnostics and the Time Since OOB Tune Start value in seconds was about the length of the 2nd part of the DH recording.

My Tivo HD and DVR Expander are both on a UPS, so power problems are unlikely.

I wish we had the backdoor password so I could look at the logs like I did on my Series 1s. Do you think if I call customer service that they could tell me if any of my logs indicate something crashing and/or disk read errors?

Update on 3/15/10: The SMART tests (1st menu item under KS 54) all passed this afternoon. So, SMART tests and overnight automated tests pass.

I did a KS 58 and again got "Installing service update..." After me going away for awhile, it looks like I'm in a "Welcome!", GSOD and (sometimes?) "Almost there" loop. I've seen the GSOD at least 6x. I've got to head back to work. Hope this problem fixes itself tonight.

Before I tried KS 58 today, Tivo did boot successfully to the intro movie when I didn't release pause and type 58 at the right time.

3. cwerdna

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    No joy. My Tivo HD is now stuck in a GSOD reboot loop. :( Attempts at KS 58, 52 and 56 (unit is connected via Ethernet) haven't helped. Is KS 56 even still known to work on 11.0d?

I tried booting w/o the DVR expander attached and got the external storage required message. I also tried booting w/coax disconnected and it didn't help.

I called Tivo tech support, explained me situation and the tech had me boot w/o CableCARD installed but then my phone connection got dropped. I did ask a few times to see if they could check my logs to see if there were any read errors on either drives.

A call to the 2nd tech basically yielded him asking me to boot w/CableCARD and w/o DVR expander (received external storage required screen) and a suggestion that unpair the drives. :( Booting w/o CableCARD didn't get around the GSOD reboot loop.

He didn't seem to have access to any logs.

I ordered the recommended SIIG eSATA cable but it won't be here for a few days. I don't think any local stores carry it. I'm hesitant to open up (and void the warranty of my DVR Expander) as there might be nothing wrong with it. WD's Data Lifeguard Diagnostics' extended test passed on the DVR Expander (hooked up via a SATA to eSATA adapter).

Any last things to try before I divorce and lose most of my recordings? :(

4. neochick

neochick New Member

May 6, 2008
    I am having the same problem. :( Stuck in GSOD reboot loop. I cannot get Kickstart 54, 57 to work. Kickstart 58 only gives me a "installing service update" message and goes back into the GSOD reboot loop. :(

Same.

I found this link "How to fix your TiVo if it gets stuck on a green screen" (sorry I cannot post the link ... google works). I was going to try this "fix" but it looks a bit old (from 2002) and I am wondering if it is the right method to fix the problem. Unfortunately, it is the only (fix it) info I have found about a GSOD reboot loop.

I would appreciate your opinion, if you think it is worth a try.. before I reluctantly bust/pry open the Tivo HD.

Thanks!

5. neochick

neochick New Member

May 6, 2008

Advertisements

How to fix your TiVo if it gets stuck on a green screen

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?postid=628370#post628370

6. dwiener

dwiener New Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Ok, I was having a similar problem with my Tivo HD. No GSOD, but it would continually freeze on playback and reboot. I tried kickstart a few times, but each time it would freeze about 1.5 minutes into the quick test. I had a similar problem about a year ago and at that time it turned out to be my DVR expander had gone bad. WD replaced it under warranty, but I had to lose most of my recordings. Since nothing was playing back and I couldn't even transfer programming to my computer with Tivo PC without causing a reboot I disconnected the DVR expander. The Tivo is now working fine and I'll order a new 1TB expander this week (the old one was 500gb).

7. Karl Childers

Karl Childers New Member

Sep 29, 2009
    A...
    I'd be willing to bet the root cause of this issue can be found in either the expander or the eSATA cable connecting it to the TiVo.

Have you tried swapping the eSATA cable end-for-end?

I would divorce the external drive and see what happens. If there's a problem with any of the drives, you'd lose recordings anyway.

A word to the wise. . . . Performing a KS54 and running SMART tests does not ALWAYS detect drive problems.

Performing a KS57--unless you've been receiving S01, S02, S03 errors (related to loading, expanding, or indexing Program Guide Information)--is NEVER advisable. (You could actually be doing more harm than good. . . from what I've been given to understand.)

Good Luck!

8. dwiener

dwiener New Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Just curious, what would an end for end cable swap do? I would think a bad cable is a bad cable, and which end is plugged into what device shouldn't matter. Or is the TiVo system part voodoo, like some of the electronics I use at work?