Tivo HD that doesn't delete recordings from the delete folder

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by RTstratSpring, Mar 22, 2011.

1. RTstratSpring

RTstratSpring Member

Feb 11, 2004
    Takoma...

Advertisements

I have a Tivo HD that has an external Western Digital Hard Drive connected to it. The firmware appears to be up to date on the Tivo, however I have noticed over the last 3 months that recordings that are deleted after they have been watched never get permanently deleted automatically from the deleted folder. Went in last night after multiple unexpected Tivo restarts and deleted well over 300 recordings individually. I have a few questions. The first is what could be causing the multiple reboots of the Tivo, deleting these recordings seems to do fix the rebooting issue. Second question is why doesn't old stuff get deleted automatically at some point in time. This issue has gone on for a couple of months and caused me to turn off suggestions. Any ideas, thanks in advance!

2. janry

janry New Member

Jan 2, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    First, recordings stay in the deleted folder until the DVR needs the drive space, or until you take the extra steps to permanently delete them.

I remember when I had the WD DVR external drive and I started getting reboots, I permanently deleted a bunch of recordings and it helped or seemed to help temporarily. But, soon the reboots began again and didn't stop until I divorced the WD drive. I eventually upgraded to a larger internal drive.

3. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    Of course the cause of the reboots could be power supply or motherboard related, but that is not very likely. I strongly suggest you first re-seat both ends of the eSATA cable several times to clean the connections (do this with the TiVo off, of course), then run the Kickstart codes for drive and database error checking.

If no problems are reported from the TiVo error checks, these steps may completely resolve your issues. I have seen problems with random and frequent reboots be completely solved just by replacing the eSATA cable, but I'd want to run the DB checks to find and fix any problems that have developed.

If you still get reboots after this is done, you need to pull the TiVo drives out and put them on a computer to run WD Diagnostics for Windows on them (you will need a computer with a SATA drive controller plus an eSATA port for the expander, or you will need an eSATA to SATA cable). The free WD Diagnostics utility will not harm any existing recordings unless it finds bad sectors and you try to repair them, so no risk is involved.

Of course, if any bad sectors are found, some recordings are probably already damaged, and you need to replace the drive. If you continue to try and use the damaged drive, the TiVo will just choke every time it tries to access the bad areas.

4. Jeeters

Jeeters Registered Snoozer

Feb 25, 2003
    PA
    As already mentioned, the TiVo isn't going to delete them until the drive fills up and it needs more space. If you have your TiVo configured to not record suggestions, then the only way for the space to fill up is via your scheduled recordings. An expanded drive could take a long time to fill up if it only contains scheduled recordings and no recording suggestions.

5. RTstratSpring

RTstratSpring Member

Feb 11, 2004
    Takoma...

Advertisements

Thanks Janry, V7Goose & Jeeters for your responses, suggestions & solutions.

I think I will start with checking the eSata cable and making sure it is properly seated and then move on to the more advance solutions. The interesting thing I observed last evening is that reboots/hang-ups appear to happen when the box is recording and transferring a program which from my limited knowledge seems to indicate that the internal hard disk may be about ready to throw in the towel. Having discussed my WD external drive on the forum before I've been told those drives generally start failing after two years. This is one of the original WD Extender Drives. I've had it for at least four years. I much rather the external fail than the internal drive.

Again thank you for your responses and time! Appreciate it!

6. janry

janry New Member

Jan 2, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    If it does turn out to be the external WD drive, don't throw it away. The problem typically seems to be with the enclosure, not the actual drive. I took the bare drive out of mine, put it in a cheap enclosure and am still using it as extra PC storage.

7. RTstratSpring

RTstratSpring Member

Feb 11, 2004
    Takoma...
    Thanks Janry,

Very good to know that!

8. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    There is no way to guess at which drive might be the problem - both of them are being accessed constantly. The TiVo does not use them as two different drives, but as one large one with all the recordings spread over both drives - that is why you will loose all of your recordings if you ever divorce the external drive.

Frankly, now that you are experiencing some problems, I'd suggest you just upgrade the internal drive and stop using that external one all together. You can get a 2GB WD20EURS for about $80, and the new tools make setting it up less than a 1 hour job. The only tough issue is simply deciding what you want to do with the current recordings before you switch drives.

I know from your original post that it doesn't sound like you really need that much space, but a 2TB drive doesn't cost more than about $15 over a 1TB, and it would add a bit more value to the HD box if you ever want to sell it.

When you get done putting the new drive in the TiVo, you can take that old Expander drive and sell it or use it for anything else you want. But make sure you put the original internal drive on the shelf and don't touch it. That way if you ever suspect drive problems again int he future, it is only a matter of minutes to put the original drive back in and see if the problems go away.

9. RTstratSpring

RTstratSpring Member

Feb 11, 2004
    Takoma...
    Thanks V7Goose for the suggestions. I reseated the eSata plug on both ends and have not experienced a reboot in the last two days. However, I am taking your recommendation seriously on upgrading the internal drive. I don't really need that much space but having one large drive instead of two sounds like a good move. One point of failure instead of two. The cost sound very nominal.