"Tivo HD" terminology confusion

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by CharlesH, Sep 4, 2007.

1. Sep 4, 2007 #1 of 10
    CharlesH

CharlesH Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Sacramento...
    Whenever I see a thread along the lines of "TiVo HD Enhancement", I am never sure how to read "HD" until I look at the first message. Are we talking about

1) general enhancements specifically to the TiVoHD version of the Series3 TiVo, or
    2) High Definition enhancements to the Series3 product in general, or
    3) Hard Drive enhancements, either to the internal drive, or the ability to add an external drive?

Is there some hint that I am missing, and it is perfectly clear to everyone else what is intended? :eek:

2. Sep 4, 2007 #2 of 10
    TexasGrillChef

TexasGrillChef New Member

Sep 15, 2006
    In answer to your question.

Sometimes it's any, or all of them or even another item that the "tivo hd" can apply too.

Hope that helps.

TGC

3. Sep 4, 2007 #3 of 10
    Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest
    I suggested a separate forum thread/threads for the Tivo HD, but that idea was shot down coz most of the peeps here have a Series 3 Tivo, thus they aren't interested in anything related to a Tivo HD they do not own...

Anyone that recently purchased the Tivo HD, an comes to this community in search of answers has to determine which model of the Tivo any given thread pertains to, thus adding to the frustrations...

If it ain't broke don't fix it?

Tivo's been broke a year now, what's next?

4. Sep 4, 2007 #4 of 10
    rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    You realize the TiVo HD is on the S3 platform? Try checking your system information screen. And like most new releases, you can bet the TiVo HD's software will catch up to the S3 eventually. Once they run the same software, there will be very little differences between the two from a users perspective.

5. Sep 4, 2007 #5 of 10
    Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest
    That is correct, yet there are a few that suggest that the Tivo HD is a "lite" version of the Series 3... I've been unable to get an explanation as to that reasoning..

6. Sep 4, 2007 #6 of 10
    AbMagFab

AbMagFab What happened, TiVo?

Feb 5, 2001
    Now you seem to be contradicting youself...

First, you say you recommended a separate forum because they are so different.
    Then, you say you can't understand why people say that are so different.

Huh.

In any case, the main differences are:
    1) OLED (front display)
    2) Remote (Glo-Remote)
    3) THX certification
    4) Different CC, SATA, and Video chips

As someone else stated, presumably the software version differences will be merged at some point in the future, so really, other than driver issues, there won't be a difference.

Much like the three or so variations of the S2, that all happily live in one forum.

7. Sep 4, 2007 #7 of 10
    gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    It's quite simple actually. There are some things that the newer model is missing such as the OLED display, THX certification, a backlit remote, and a larger internal hard drive. This doesn't mean that the newer model is in any way inferior to the original. It's simply "lite" on some of the features.

Edit: It looks like AbMagFab beat me to the punch! :)

8. Sep 5, 2007 #8 of 10
    Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest
    Now you seem to be contradicting youself...

First, you say you recommended a separate forum because they are so different.
    Then, you say you can't understand why people say that are so different.

If they are the same, why not just say so, rather then to label the Tivo HD as "lite"

Besides, the Tivo HD version has a faster CPU and twice the memory as the Series 3 version....

Bet all u'z have a Series 3, thus you aren't interested in the problems the Tivo HD
    has developed since last months release

Isn't it odd that the Tivo HD's problems mirror those of the S3 that has been on the market nearly a year now?

You may debate amongst u r selfs...

This matter is run isn't course

9. Sep 5, 2007 #9 of 10
    rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Huh? No one is stopping any discussion about TiVo HD problems. When the DT was released it had issues but a separate forum wasn't created for it. Btw, I don't know why you insist on jumping on other people's threads and making them offtopic.

10. d_anders

d_anders Sr Legacy Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Twin Cities...
    I'm so tired of the "lite" argument for the TiVoHD.

TiVOHD has a faster processor, has more memory, and has updated video processors, etc.

Other than OLED screen and being on the 8.3 code base (which TiVOHD will be on
    soon), I don't see the advantages, overall.

1) OLED (front display) - Got it there. Yes, it's very nice.

2) Remote (Glo-Remote) - Packaging, can get one for the TiVoHD if really needed. I have one from another offer from my older S2 (Mac Toast TiVo2Go/Remote Offer)

3) THX certification - TiVo didn't pay for the "certification" for the TiVoHD to keep costs down; but no one has said it performs any less that S3 in terms of audio capability (software code base issues are the only thing that S3 has a leg up on this right now)...maybe value for a period of time.

4) Different CC, SATA, and Video chips - Yep, TiVOHD has a faster processor, more memory, and overall, I understand TiVoHD has more up-to-date chips...and in some cases care spec'd to do some mpeg4 to mpeg2 conversion via hardare.

5) Initial Harddrive Size - Can easily be upgraded.

6) TivoHD - Cable Card slots are on the front - Easier to Service Cable Cards for TiVoHD

7) TiVoHD - mCard capability out of the Box (S3 has to wait for the code base to merge probably to get this one).

I believe the core advantages for the S3 over TiVoHD are the following:

1) OLED Front Panel Screen (true difference, adds value)
    2) Larger Initial Harddrive (true difference, adds value)
    3) HDMI cable (true difference, adds value)
    4) BackLit Remote (True Difference, adds value)
    5) Currently on more stable 8.3 code base (true difference (for a period of time), adds value for a period of time)

Based on on all the above, I don't believe TiVOHD is a "lite" box at all. In terms of some packaging, certainly, but not in overall capabilities...which some some to infer.

Once the code base is merged, in terms of true performance and capability....there are very few distinquishing features, and in time the TiVOHD platform may end up being superior in certain performance areas. That said, I'm not going to say it's superior, but it's certainly not S3 "lite".