Tivo HD suddenly has signal problems on some HD channels on FIOS

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by doconeill, Apr 11, 2011.

1. doconeill

doconeill Unix Guru

Dec 13, 2002
    West of Boston
    Hey guys, I haven't been on in a while...

My priamry TivoHD unit, connected to FIOS with two S-cards, suddenly won't tune in a variety of HD channels. I haven't gone through the whole SD range to know if anything there is affected, but I've lost 10 HD channels. Diagnostics show them as being between 111 and 147MHz. Unaffected channels appear to be at high frequencies.

It shows that the tuner can't lock on, and flops between QAM256 and QAM64 modulation.

Both tuners are affected, so its not a card-specific issue. Reboots didn't help, nor did resets of the cards from Verizon.

Any ideas why that range would suddenly be affected? I hope the tuner itself isn't dying...don't want to or need to replace the unit...

Is there a full channel frequency map (specific to Boston)? I'd like to know if there are channels within the range that are not affected...

2. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man-also TCF Club

Sep 14, 2003
    Northern VA
    I recently lost the Speed channel completely on SD and had major pixelation and audio drops on HD. Turns out it was a loose coax connection, in my case at a splitter. Check those connections.

3. doconeill

doconeill Unix Guru

Dec 13, 2002
    West of Boston
    Yeah, that looked like what it was coming down to, but I had left it overnight and this morning without touching anything it was perfectly fine again.

I suspect it is the connection at the Tivo itself...replacing the cable would not be easy, but I might be able to replace the connector if I can find my old crimping tools...

4. trip1eX

trip1eX imo, afaik, feels like to me, *exceptions, ~aprox

Apr 2, 2005
    Problems here lately too. FIOS. Boston area. And AT least one HD channel, AMC, has lots of pixelation the past week or so.

Others could be affected as well. I haven't checked every channel. Only the ones I've watched a bit lately. I know A&E is fine. Same with TNT. ESPN. Networks. FX looks fine.

Just checked AMC and it has its problems still.

5. Krokus

Krokus New Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Florida
    Mine freezes. I change channel and it comes back although I lose my buffer. If it's recording I can't do anything but stop the recording and push record again. I bought the attenuators but that didn't help. Mostly happens on Fox and HBO in HD. It will pixelate before it freezes but it mostly is just stuck paused. When I turn tv on in the morning it is stuck frozen from the night before. I'm in Florida and have 1 m-card.

Krokus

6. doconeill

doconeill Unix Guru

Dec 13, 2002
    West of Boston
    My problems came back a couple of days ago, so I swapped the cables (I had two runs from my old DirecTV setup), and it got better.

Today is crapped out again, and was worse - even FX SD was out. I checked the other Tivo - same problems this time, with FX SD pixelated. Checked the SD STB, and it couldn't show FX SD either.

I ended up swapping out the three-way splitter for a two-way that I had, and both Tivos are better now, but my STB is disconnected. Waiting for a new three-way splitter to arrive, but I really didn't expect a splitter to fail like that...

7. trip1eX

trip1eX imo, afaik, feels like to me, *exceptions, ~aprox

Apr 2, 2005
    I still have problems with pixelation on AMC.

Checked my cables from wall to splitter to tivo and all looks good.

Guess I'll change splitter too or put a coupler on there if I have it and see if perhaps signal is a tad low to the Premiere.

Shows the Tivo records on AMC look like crap. And they look bad LIVE too. I tested surrounding channels in lineup which I don't view very often and saw some problems there as well.

8. Jun 2, 2011 #8 of 10
    winesnob

winesnob New Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Also started having problems mid-April with our TiVo HD, around the same time I installed an APC A/V power conditioner & battery backup. Ruled out CableCard issues since the stuttering occurred on only 1 tuner at a time, but varied from time to time. Also tried unplugging the TiVo from the power conditioner and directly into the wall. Still no good. Tried restarting the TiVo HD (many times), ran the startup diagnostics and repair (using 54 and 57 codes), replaced the coaxial cable, bought in-line attenuators (12dB + 6dB) to bring the signal down to 29dB with strength of 45%, and still freezing nearly every time the TV turns on. Yes, I can change the channel to unfreeze, but still have stuttering on 1 of the tuners. After a month of this, transferred any recordings that were not already archived, and chose to 'clear & delete everything'. Once TiVo had cleaned itself and restarted, we've had no problems. Moved the transferred recordings back, and all is well. Interestingly, before the reset procedure, the power conditioner was more often than not in "regulating mode" because the power draw was greater than the AC outlet (120+ V being requested vs. 116V being supplied) -- since the reset, the power conditioner has been operating normally. I think the disk had some serious corruption.

9. Jun 9, 2011 #9 of 10
    tron1977

tron1977 New Member

Jan 14, 2009

I'm having this exact same problem. Did you find a fix yet.

I'm going to try winesnob's fix. I thought it might be a drive problem if it's not a problem on the cablevision side.

10. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Also had similar issues. Lasted a few days to maybe a week. Seemed to have resolved themselves though. Been running for a week or so now, smooth as silk again. Only thing that had me kind of seriously concerned after 3.5 years of smooth sailing(even bought a Premiere and spare 2TB drive if the worse happened).

At first I was sure it was a cable/cc issue, but then it started happening with OTA. Curious. Again, luckily, seems to have been resolved.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=470539