1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo HD stuck on welcome screen

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by MaryCat, Sep 6, 2017.

1. MaryCat

MaryCat New Member

Oct 14, 2005
    I have a Tivo HD that is stuck on the welcome powering up screen. Fan is still running so I assume the hard drive has failed. I have looked through some of the posts on here but they are quite dated. Is it still possible to replace the hard drive? Is the image still available? I'm not interested in recovering anything on the old one. Also do not need a big drive. 500GB would be fine. What is the cheapest I could get away with?

Also, I have an old series 2 laying around. Could I use the hard drive from it with a new image instead of buying?

2. Teeps

Teeps Active Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    1) maybe
    2) yes
    3) yes
    4) probably less than $100
    5) I would not.

But, before going the HDD replacement; be sure to check the power supply for bulging or leaking capacitors.

3. MaryCat

MaryCat New Member

Oct 14, 2005
    Thank you Teeps, I will take the cover off and check that out as I did read about that also. Do you think I would be able to get away with a less than $50 hard drive? It's so old, I'm not sure I want to put that much money into it. It's not a lifetime one, but I am on a grandfathered 6.95/mo plan that I don't want to give up just so I can stick it to them. :)

Teeps likes this.
  4. Teeps

Teeps Active Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    Maybe.
    Since you're not worried about losing programs... Google DVR Hard Drive and go with your budget.

I know what you mean I have a $9.95 deal on my Roamio.

5. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Either this one or this one should work fine. You might need to disable intellipark on the latter.

Teeps likes this.
  6. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Call Tivo and see if you can get a discount on lifetime, you might be able to get it for $99. Just do not de-activate it or it will never be activated again.

7. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    I thought Tivo said they would not sell new service on a series 3 anymore.

8. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    I think its no new activations.

9. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    I would never have thought they would let you pay $99 for a lifetime subscription on a monthly subscribed S3. I wonder if they would let you pay $99 for lifetime service and then cash in on a once in a lifetime deal like they had previously.