Tivo HD stuck on boot

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by nephorm, Apr 30, 2011.

1. nephorm

nephorm New Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Good afternoon,

I turned on my TV today to see a purple-tinted "Almost there. Just a few minutes more..." on my tivo. I unplugged the unit, waited 15 seconds, and plugged it back in. This time it sat at the initial powering up screen for about a half hour before hitting the "almost there" screen. I looked up the kickstart instructions here, and unplugged the unit again, pressing the pause button when it turned on. However, the tivo did not acknowledge that it was receiving any remote signal, and the no light other than the green LED came on. It went to "almost there" in one or two minutes. I didn't really time it, it just happened faster than I expected. It is still stuck at "almost there."

Does anyone have any advice or troubleshooting tips before I pull the drive and replace it with the original?

2. nephorm

nephorm New Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Sigh. OK, to update: I found my original remote, and tried holding pause again from reboot. This time, after about 30 seconds, the amber, green, and red lights all came on. I released the pause button, and hit 5 and then 7. The amber and red lights turned off. The system went to the "almost there" screen, then rebooted. The GSOD never came up... the system just went through "powering on" and is still hanging on the "almost there" screen.

EDIT: I was able to get into KS 54, it is currently on the extended test and everything has passed so far. I will update this when it finishes, and then probably try KS 52.

Thanks, and sorry for the updates.

3. nephorm

nephorm New Member

Jan 21, 2007
    KS 54 ran and showed the hard drive passed. I tried using KS 52, but all that happened was that the screen blinked to black and the "almost there" screen came up, rather than the software update screen. Any ideas?

4. nephorm

nephorm New Member

Jan 21, 2007
    The original drive works. I suspect an update screwed up the OS on my upgraded drive. So now I need to figure out if it is possible to copy over just the OS without losing my season passes or programs?

5. nephorm

nephorm New Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Woot!
    WinMFS to the rescue! I did a fixboot, and the tivo came right up.
    Next question... is this symptomatic of other issues?

6. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    It sounds like perhaps TiVo pushed a software update or patch, which got written to the alternate partition (although not necessarily successfully), and re-wrote the boot page to make it switch partitions at next boot, and then had problems when it forced a soft reboot.

When you used fixboot, you re-rewrote the boot page to make it go back to the partition it was using before TiVo messed with it.

You mention replacing the drive with the original, so I assume that at some time in the past you put in a bigger drive. What's the brand and model of the drive? Some drives don't handle soft reboots well. Search the

Drive Expansion and Drive Upgrade FAQ

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=370784

for info on Caviar Green and wdidle to learn more.

You may just need to disable intellipark or whatever it's called.

Even if your drive isn't a WD, go read that thread anyway, there may be other brands with the same or a similar soft reboot problem.