Tivo HD Stuck on Almost There Screen after Clear Everything

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by cpekid, Oct 23, 2016.

1. cpekid

cpekid New Member

Aug 27, 2016
    Hi All,
    A similar scenario has been posted before, but the solution was not shared publicly, so I'm seeking new advice. I'm selling a series Tivo HD unit (TCD652160) that was upgraded to 1TB by its previous owner. I copied all of my content off and then ran a Clear Everything & Delete (now regretting that choice). The Tivo is now stuck on the Almost There screen. I've unplugged, and restarted, ran the S.M.A.R.T. test with no errors. I tried smart codes to reinstall software with no success.
    As I am not the first owner and don't have the original pre-upgrade hard drive, I haven't been able to follow the upgrade procedure to reinstall the software on the 1TB drive.

Does anyone have a solution? Is there someplace I can download a backup image of an original HD hard drive so that I can reformat the 1TB drive? Would that even work since it wouldn't be the image for THIS unit? Or is there another (hopefully easier) solution?
    Thanks in advance

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Most likely the power supply is the cause. The capacitors may be failing. Its common for Series 3 to have this problem.It can also spread issues to the hard drive.

3. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002
    Passing the SMART test doesn't mean the drive is good. Install the drive in a PC and run mfg extended, overnight, diagnostics. If it fails you'll need a new drive, and maybe power supply.

4. cpekid

cpekid New Member

Aug 27, 2016
    I just checked the power supply and all capacitors look fine. No swelling. I was wondering if the fact that the hard drive was user upgraded to 1gb, could the clear all and delete process messed up the TiVo software?

5. cpekid

cpekid New Member

Aug 27, 2016
    Thanks, the power supply looks fine. I will try your suggestion about mfg extended... If the drive passes, is there a way to reinstall the TiVo software on a 1tb drive without having the original?