Tivo HD sound skipping on hidef - have to reboot once a week

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by rastoma, Sep 13, 2009.

1. rastoma

rastoma New Member

Jun 4, 2006

Advertisements

I have about a 6 month old S3 HD Tivo with a cable card (from Charter).

On high def channels and every now and then standard, sound skips for about a half a second every few seconds. It does it while watching live and recorded.

A tech came and verified the signal is strong and not fluctuating.

Also about every 4-5 days, the picture will freeze on live TV and will not play again until a reboot. Before rebooting, anything prerecorded will play, Netflix will stream, etc. It's like the you unplugged the cable.

Rebooting will be ok for another few days.

I don't get any pixelation ever on hidef or standard channels.

I bought this house less than a year ago and it had never had cable TV installed so Charter wired every room (that was to have TV) with new wire and has a new drop from the pole. I have high speed internet that is rock solid, VOIP phone works perfectly so the signal everywhere seems to be good.

Any suggestion?

2. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    Do you have an Extender?

3. felux

felux New Member

Jan 25, 2003
    I have noticed this problem with my S3 as well. I noticed that it happens with the 30 min buffer is full and on a channel with DD sound. As you say all pre-recorded show function without issue.

I just switch the channel up and down and that seems to fix it (by resetting the buffer.) or backing up the show a few minutes (so its not at the end of the buffer.) Its annoying, but better than waiting for a reboot cycle.

I am on Comcast Philly with 2 cable cards.

4. JBirk

JBirk New Member

Sep 23, 2009
    I do not have a cable card, but I get the same behavior. Also, when I fast forward, the progress cursor moves erratically.

5. tough joe

tough joe Member

Sep 16, 2006

Advertisements

i know its almost a year later, but this is a problem with the hard drive. The fix is to replace the hard drive. if you do, go ahead and upgrade it. i found a guy on ebay who sells 2 terrabyte drives that work on TivoHD for $200.