Tivo HD sound effects

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by yjr, Feb 8, 2008.

1. yjr

yjr New Member

Apr 26, 2006

Advertisements

I have a Tivo HD with 2 S-cable cards
    I've noticed 2 peculiarities and don't seem to find any threads on the subjects
    1.) On *some* recordings when F-FWD, Rew, Play etc. there are no sound effects(The Tivo beeps)when you perform the function. the sound effects are turned on and work on other shows, and while navigating thru the menus all the way to the point where you click on play.(play is the last command that produces the beep).It does not seem to make a difference if the show was recorded in HD or SD. anybody ran into this?
    2.)After recording shows from HD channels, the play list shows that Tivo created An "HD Recordings" folder, in which all the HD show are listed, and in addition the shows are also listed outside of that folder. Deleting a show from either list will delete it from both lists, are they being recorded/deleted at 2 locations? what is the reason for duplicate listings?
    Tivo csr was no help.
    TIA
    JerryR

2. LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach Active Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Drexel Hill, PA
    1) Do a search for info on missing sounds. I think they said it occurred when using Dolby Digital or something like that.

2) Yes, that is how it is supposed to work. There is only one copy on the hard drive, but it is referenced by both folders.

3. ciper

ciper Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    1 Perhaps one of the stickies should contain this information since its such a common question but thats normal for any digital streams.
    2 Don't think of the NPL as a folder like on windows. Its really a database so its possible for the same show to have many different "shortcuts"

4. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    The TiVo cannot inject its sounds into Dolby Digital 2.0 and 5.1 broadcasts.

You can get TiVo sounds everywhere if you give up Dolby Digital. To do that, go to Settings -> Audio and select PCM. Personally, I just disable TiVo sounds.

It's the same recording listed in two different places for easy access. TiVo added that option when high-definition wasn't as ubiquitous as it is today. I agree that it is really no longer necessary, but there is no way to disable that folder.

Once you've got the latest software update (v9.2a), the HD Recordings folder will stick to the bottom of your Now Playing list so you shouldn't see it after a week or so of recordings.

[​IMG]

If you just got your TiVo, you might want to see the tips I posted here.

5. yjr

yjr New Member

Apr 26, 2006

Advertisements

Thank you guys for the quick replys, and the solutions you offered.
    It is amazing that a question(2 questions actually)posted here elicited 3 responses within 15 min. with the answers to both my questions, where Tivo CSR, last night took more than an hour(including time to "research and consult")to come up with absolutly *nothing*. all I got from them are case numbers. according to tivo CSR "no customer ever brought up these questions and no CSR ever heard of them either"
    Thank you again
    JerryR

6. fritolayguy

fritolayguy Science, bitches

Oct 31, 2002
    Liberty, MO.
    It truly is power in the numbers...I always come here first, and have really only had to call TIVO CSR in extreme cases. This is a great community that is always willing to help!

:D