TiVo HD Slow Response

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by mhonard, Sep 13, 2007.

1. mhonard

mhonard New Member

Feb 18, 2003
    I have the TiVo HD with Charter Communications. When I change channels or even move through some TiVo menus I get a annoying delay (black screen for 1-2 sec). I have other TiVo's (not HD) which are pretty speedy. Is this a known TiVo HD issue. I have not seen other posts on this topic.

2. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    It takes the TivoHD several days to index guide data. During that time, it will be slower than normal.

Do you have your TivoHD set to native or hybrid output mode? In native mode, SD channels are output as 480i, 720p channels are output as 720p, and 1080i channels are output as 1080i. Most displays display a black screen for a few seconds when switching resolutions. Setting your TivoHD to 720p or 1080i fixed will eliminate the resolution changes and associated delays on your display.

Tivo significantly improved guide and menu responsiveness when they upgraded the Tivo Series3 from v8.1.x to v8.3.x. The TivoHD still has the older 8.1.x. Most expect the Series3 and TivoHD to use the same software -- with the same performance improvements -- before year's end.