TIVO HD Shortage?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by denniscasey, Jan 25, 2010.

1. denniscasey

denniscasey New Member

Jan 25, 2010

Advertisements

Today found local (St. Paul) Best Buy stores out of stock for TIVO HD--last week plenty available. Yesterday while researching various sites prior to TIVO purchase I saw conjecture that TIVO HD would see short supply due to impending release of Series 4--can't find the thread in this forum however.

I know there is always much conjecture about new releases, but does Best Buy store out of stock provide any new info? Vikings got knocked out of Super Bowl contention last night so hard to believe a sudden surge in TIVO demand locally.

2. pl1

pl1 Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2007
    MA
    Tivo.com is out as well.

3. cjv2

cjv2 New Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    *That* is interesting.

4. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Best Buy and Tivo have formed a partnership.
    Maybe it means a new model is coming soon?

http://www.engadget.com/2009/07/09/tivo-and-best-buy-alliance-to-yield-co-branded-dvr-tivo-softwar/

Who knows if that really means anything.

5. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area

Advertisements

Have you tried Amazon.com?

6. denniscasey

denniscasey New Member

Jan 25, 2010
    As mentioned, TIVO HD out of stock on TIVO site but also they are out of stock for Western Digital 1 TB expander--other threads have speculated TIVO changing HDD suppliers or does out of stock mean TIVO or content providers do not want expanders used to store/keep more content?

7. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Amazon.com has stock on Tivo HD today $212.11, but for the Tivo HD XL, there is limited stock.

8. Feb 4, 2010 #8 of 24
    innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    A week later this is now making the rounds on tech sites. Crunch Gear posted it first. Engadgethd and a bunch of other sites have now since posted it.

9. Feb 5, 2010 #9 of 24
    sbq

sbq New Member

Feb 5, 2010
    I hit a bunch of Best Buy's and Fry's in the SF bayarea today, not a single Tivo HD or HD XL, only the series 2. This is very poor planning on Tivo's part, they haven't even made a formal announcement of a new product line yet. I'm going to start looking into alternatives since I've already been waiting for a week to find one, I'm tired of waiting.

10. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Amazon, in stock, free shipping, no tax for $195

11. denniscasey

denniscasey New Member

Jan 25, 2010
    I have recently started shopping TIVO's so don't know if these "rolling shortages" are common with TIVO. However, looking at various posts and so forth it would seem unusual and might indicate something out of the ordinary going on:

(1) TIVO stock out situations noted yesterday by Wall Street analyst who speculates a new TIVO model will be introduced soon (as others in forums have speculated). Best Buy is still showing "back ordered" on HD and not available in local stores-- does not even show HD XL model on their website (maybe they never did sell HD XL, I just started shopping two weeks ago). Amazon themselves in and out of stock on HD XL--late yesterday and today Amazon shows HD XL units being shipped from other vendors' inventory (with slightly higher pricing than Amazon has been showing).

(2) Is it possible TIVO rolling shortages could be related to WD HDD issues reported in various threads

(3) WD expanders seem to be not available compared to two or three weeks ago

12. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    If there is a new product coming (and yes, I did see the other thread about the instruction sheet mistakenly included in someone's Tivo), then it would make sense for them NOT to announce it.. so that they can sell out of their existing product. Why have "useless" unsold units on the shelf (that the retailers can return to Tivo?) when a new/improved/better product comes out? At least that is the theory even though they're truly not useless for those who know.

(I totally want to bring up the Osborne *MYTH* but most people don't realize it's a myth..)

Hmm, not like I actually want another one, but it shows up at $229 for me, not $195, at Amazon.

13. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    No on #2, it's not related

14. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    Absolutely right. This is actually very good planning on TiVo's part. Besides this supporting the reduction of inventory of the old model, a month or two of short supply (especially since it is backed-up by the availability of a higher-end product, the XL) could help stoke customer demand, promising a very strong introduction of the new model. That's essential, since a lot of customers wait until they hear some buzz about a new model before jumping in.

15. paultolejko

paultolejko New Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Hello,

I am new so pardon my lack of knowledge. I have a tivo hd and want to add the only authorized wd 1tb expander. However, everyone is out of stock. This is making me suspicious that there are "issues" with the product. I hesitate to take the hacking route and heard that you cannot do that with the tivo hd. Any advice?
    Paul

16. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    Buy a new bigger hard drive and install in yourself. It's easy to do.

17. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    I think if you add anything other than the approved external hard drive to a tivo hd you will void the warranty, because you have to crack open the case and either marry the existing drive to the unsupported external hard drive or just replace the internal hard drive with a larger one.

18. cjv2

cjv2 New Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    That is correct, re:voiding the warranty.

19. paultolejko

paultolejko New Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Thanks guys for advice on expanding my tivo hd. I was told by a tivo cs guys that Western Digital has ceased making the expander. I am not concerned about the warranty so is it best to install a new internal 1tb hd or an esata?

Thanks Paul

20. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    I prefer a 1TB internal AND a 1TB external for 2TB, but if I had to make a quick choice I'd go internal.

Diane