Tivo HD service cost?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by ncted, Dec 14, 2011.

1. ncted

ncted A leaf on the wind

May 13, 2007
    Durham, NC
    If I buy a used Tivo HD, what should I expect to pay for service on it? I don't currently have a Tivo. I would not want to pay the $19.95/month that new Premiers cost. I want a box to use for testing/optimizing my antenna setup, but I don't want to pay a lot for the service.

Thanks,
    Ted

2. cannonz

cannonz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Someone just told me if you have a series 3 without a multi service discount most you would pay is 12.95 with MSD 9.95 (even if other is a lifetime). I do not know if this is always true or not, was going to ask myself.

3. ncted

ncted A leaf on the wind

May 13, 2007
    Durham, NC
    $12.95 wouldn't be bad. $9.95 would be better.

4. cannonz

Oct 22, 2011
    You can get a lifetime single tuner series 2 fairly cheap to start account and qualify for multiple discount. I think there is also $100 a year paid in advance plan for older HD's too. Hopefully someone who knows for sure can confirm this is true for anyone who calls or depends on who takes your call at Tivo. I know it worked for a neighbor of mine.

5. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    For standalone (non satellite receiver) TiVos older than the Series 4 (The Premiere and newer), it's $12.95 per month. If you already have a TiVo with fully paid lifetime service or on which you are paying the full monthly rate, you qualify for the Multi-Set Discount.

The MSD rate on pre-Series 4 standalones is $9.95 per month.

However, if you just want to use it as an antenna tester (something for which a coupon box would work just as well), you can get the used TiVo, go through Guided Setup telling it you have antenna only, and use it for what you want without having to subscribe it.

Then when you're through using it for that and have no more need for it, you can hand it off to my nephew who's in school up there and he can bring it to me when he comes home for Christmas.:D

Remember, there may be a little lag between antenna adjustment and seeing the results on the screen, since it gets written to the 30 minute cache on the hard drive and then read back from there to be sent out to the television.

6. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I think that this is a non-issue if you're in the signal strength mode.
    (Messages & Settings - Settings - Channels)
    IIRC, it disables all recording.

7. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Do you have access to that setting without an active subscription?

8. ncted

ncted A leaf on the wind

May 13, 2007
    Durham, NC
    I would like to demonstrate to the other resident in my house that OTA is reliable, so I thought a cheap Tivo HD with a low-cost subscription might be the way to go.

Thanks,
    Ted

9. cannonz

Oct 22, 2011
    Is the $100 a year in advance plan available for pre 4's?