TiVo HD Series 3 Hard Drive Failure...

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Vorian, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Vorian

Vorian New Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Hi all,

Great forum! I see there is a ton of info on this site. I have a TiVo HD that just had its hard drive fail. I bought a new Roamio Plus and dropped in a 3TB hard drive in it right from the start. I now have the original 1TB drive that came with the Roamio. Can I just slap that drive into my TiVo HD and expect it to work or will I have to do 'stuff' to get that old box up and running again?

Thanks in advance!
    Mike

2. Vorian

Vorian New Member

Feb 8, 2015
    I forgot to mention I have a TCD652160 if that makes any difference.

Sent from my mobile command post

3. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
  4. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Only the Roamio has that ability where nothing is done on a new drive and the Tivo initializes the drive.

For the previous models, you have to put the Tivo software on it, which needs to match the model number to even work.

TCD652xxx S3HD 11.0m here

This is where you can find an image.

5. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If you put a 160GB image on a 1TB drive (or any drive larger, in LBA number, than the original TCD652160 drive) with either the MFS Live cd or the WinMFS program, do not do the expansion into the rest of the space as part of that process.

If you use the .bak file, do not include the -x option on the command line (might as well skip -z as well)

If you use the .tbk file, then when WinMFS finishes and offers to expand tell it no.

Then check the new drive with

mfsinfo

and make sure everything looks okay.

The partition map will show a large Apple Free partition on the end of the drive.

At that point you can do the expansion with

mfsadd

Just take my word for it.

6. Vorian

Vorian New Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Thanks all. I'll give the image a shot tonight and report back.

Sent from my mobile command post

7. Vorian

Vorian New Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Old TiVo is back up and running! Thanks all! I can't believe how easy it is to do HD changes/upgrades now. I remember having to 'bless' a drive back with my first TiVo.

8. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC

All mad props to the people who came up with the original TiVo drive wrangling software, but thanks to spike's work on putting MFS Tools together with a Live Linux bootable cd, and then his creation of WinMFS, it is now we who are "blessed".

:D