TIVO HD - Searching for Signal

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by rcamille, Jul 29, 2007.

1. rcamille

rcamille New Member

Dec 23, 2002
    Long Island, NY

Advertisements

I took the plunge and picked up a TIVO HD last night at circuit city. I set it up this morning without cable cards (Cablevision requires a tech to come and do the install). I noticed a couple of issues/bugs.

1. When I change channels, there is a delay and occassionally (70% of the time) text along the bottom of the screen says searching for signal. After a second or two, the message disappears the station is tuned in. Any idea if this will go away after I get cable cards? Anyone else experiencing this issue?

2. When set to native, and pressing the TIVO button, the screen flutters a bit and gets real noisy before showing the TIVO menu. This does not happen if set to 1080i. Not sure if this is an HDMI issue or a TIVO issue. Anyone else out there with a similar problem?

2. avmike

avmike Member

Jun 11, 2007
    #1 I remember extremely slow channel changing behavior on my S3 before I completed my setup with CableCards, etc. Maybe give it some time to see if performance improves?

#2 This is likely the behavior of your TV when changing modes (480 to 1080, etc.). That's why I just keep mine fixed at 1080i. No flicker, Tivo menus look sharp, etc....

Mike

3. dvr4me

dvr4me New Member

Jul 10, 2007
    From what I've gathered and guessed, the delay seems to happen more when the Tivo doesn't have guide data for the channel. It also seemed to happen if you've selected antenna and cable during the guided setup but only have the CATV cable connected (and not the antenna).

Mine was doing the "searching for signal" thing for a bit as I was playing with OTA and different settings (I was playing with a homemade OTA antenna and wanted to see how the signal strength was). After I had rerun the guided setup and turned off the antenna, then ran a channel scan and turned off the dead channels, things have stabilized. It could also be that the Tivo has downloaded more guide data, thus stabilizing the tuning.

When it is set to Native, the Tivo just outputs the signal without changing the aspect. Thus the TV is fully responsible for switching the resolutions. If I'm not mistaken, the Tivo menu is 720p. So if you are on a 480i/p channel and pull up the guide, the TV might want to change the resolution to 720p to match the output of the Tivo.

In my experience, my Westinghouse TV does excellent... as long as the signal is stable from the source. If the source resolution changes, the TV flutters, skips, and scrambles a lot to change the resolution. It would be worse if I went from a 1080i channel to a 480i/p channel. I've solved this by setting the TiVo HD to 1080i FIXED so the signal is always the same. The TV no longer has to go through a resolution switch so the resolution switching issue is solved.

The drawback is the 480i/p resolution shows are stretched to fill the screen and everyone looks fatter. (Well, isn't the saying "You look fatter on TV? :D ) I don't mind the stretching as then I have no sidebars.

4. JoN8282

JoN8282 New Member

Feb 26, 2005
    #2 is the changing of resolutions on your tv... if you change it to a fixed video mode this will not occur, and the tivo will just scale to whatever format you pick.

5. redrouteone

redrouteone This Space for Lease TCF Club

Jun 16, 2001
    Austin, Texas

Advertisements

I had the #1 problem with the TiVO HD I picked up on Friday. Saturday afternoon it completely lost the ability to tune analogue channels either from cable or antenna.

I went thought guided setup again, scanned for new channels and nothing helped. So I took it back this morning and swapped it for a new one.

Hopefully this is not a sign of a major problem.

6. randomsolutions

randomsolutions New Member

Jul 25, 2007
    I'm having this problem too. It takes between 3-10 seconds to tune to a channel. I'm getting cable cards installed on Friday so hopefully the issue will go away... Please call Tivo and report this issue.

Here's a link where I've described my problem.

7. Gleklen

Gleklen New Member

Nov 6, 2005
    I am having exactly the same problem on one of the two TiVO HDs I bought yesterday. (The other one works fine from the same coax connection.) Maybe we should start a thread to capture these problems.

8. rcamille

rcamille New Member

Dec 23, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Do you have cable cards installed yet? I am wondering if this problem will disappear once the cable cards are installed. anyone have any further insight?

9. MickeS

MickeS Active Member

Dec 26, 2002
    I had the #1 problem on my S3. It went away after a week or so. I don't have CableCARDs. It seemed to me it only delayed the first few channel changes on each channel. Maybe it does some sort of caching of the exact frequency or something that it can use later.

Then again, once I had more stuff recorded I don't watch much live TV at all.

10. Gleklen

Gleklen New Member

Nov 6, 2005
    I don't have the cable cards installed yet, but given that my other HD works fine, I think it's the box. I'm going to return it rather than risk paying for the call to install the cable cards only to have it not work.

11. rcamille

rcamille New Member

Dec 23, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    I am thinking the same thing. I am going to swap mine out. I may even sit on the sidelines for a month and see how this issue plays out. I am also thinking that the S3 will come down in price. With the cost of adding a larger hard drive to the HD Tivo, it just may make sense to hold out for a price drop on the S3.

On another note, Cablevision rips you off here and charges $47 to install the cards. Then if the unit goes bad and they cannot re-marry the cards to the new unit over the phone it is another $47. Really annoys me that I cannot just pick up the cable cards and install them myself.

12. doormat

doormat Member

Sep 15, 2004
    Vegas
    I just installed my TiVo HD and it is having the same problem. We'll see if it goes away, I still need to call Cox and have them schedule a cable card installation.

Is there any way to check the signal strength of the Coax line? See if its strong enough? Maybe I need to double check my coax connections...

Edit: A channel scan for me did fix the problem, but its still slower than my S2 to switch channels. Also, I just scheduled my CC install, but the earliest they'll get out here is next Tuesday - eight days! UGH! Stupid Cox...

13. rcamille

rcamille New Member

Dec 23, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    I just ran a channel scan (and it found a lot more channels) and what do you know? The slow channel changing and searching for signal problem disappeared. Just scheduled my cable card install for Friday. Will keep you all posted. I will be so happy to give that SA DVR back to cablevision!

14. ticktockman

ticktockman New Member

Jul 20, 2004
    Silicon Valley
    That really does not sound like a hardware problem. Hardware would be "it cannot tune the channel" or "the channel is noisy" or "the channel goes in and out of lock". If it can tune the channel it is probably configuration or software. Also, historically Tivo will have a new software package to roll out right around the time the hardware hits the market. Make sure you let your box download the new software before you give up on it :)

15. rcamille

rcamille New Member

Dec 23, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    I would tend to agree with the prior post.

16. lethcoeb

lethcoeb Not a new member

Apr 19, 2002
    My S3 exhibited this behavior until I got my cable cards working. After cable cards, no delay.

17. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Same here. CableCards eliminated the delay.

18. DasRaven@

DasRaven@ Analyst & Skeptic

Jul 27, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I had the same issue as #1, running the channel scan cleared it. (no cablecards yet)

19. Gleklen

Gleklen New Member

Nov 6, 2005
    One of the two new HDs could not tune any analog channel with no CCs installed (just a grey screen). The other could tune all of the analog channels. So could the new HD that I bought to replace the one I returned. They all had the same software, so it seems pretty clearly to have been a hardware problem.