Tivo HD Sata Confussion

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by TomRaz, Oct 13, 2007.

1. TomRaz

TomRaz Member

Feb 28, 2002

Advertisements

I purchased a Tivo HD last week and I am very interested in using the esata port to expand my recording ability.

I have read the sticky in the forum that indicates that the esata port on the Tivo HD unit is not officially supported but is on the Series 3.

I was speaking to a second level Tivo support person today who indicated that the Tivo HD esata port was active and supported on the Tivo HD unit.

I said I thought it was the other way around with the Series 3 larger unit having the support.

He inisisted that the Tivo HD esata port was active and supported and I I would have to do is plug in a esata drive and it should work.

Was he just confussed ?

Or am I confussed :)

2. SullyND

SullyND W: 31-17 TCF Club

Dec 30, 2004
    Chicago Burbs
    You both are. The ESATA port is not officially supported on either unit, but can be activated on either unit. Activating it on the THD is not as easy as it is on the S3.

3. richsadams

richsadams Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2003
    Wow, that is bizarre! TiVo CSR's have been known to dispense misinformation on more than one occasion, but that's a pretty big mistake.

AFAIK TiVo does not officially support e-SATA expansion drives on the S3 or the newer TiVo HD. But as SullyND points out...there are hacks that will make it work.

Here's the thread that discusses adding an eSATA drive to a TiVo HD.

Here's the thread that discusses adding an eSATA drive to the original TiVo S3

It would be interesting to hear from anyone that wants to try just plugging an eSATA HDD into their TiVo HD to see what happens. Nothing I suspect, but again, that's a pretty wild statement from a TiVo CSR, especially if they were "level 2" as the OP states! :confused:

4. TomRaz

TomRaz Member

Feb 28, 2002
    I agree that it was a pretty wild statement but the person seemed to know a bunch about cable cards and the Tivo Series 3 and HD units.

I did ask him several times and he kept insisting that it was active and supported on the Tivo HD.

He was a second level support rep and his name was Reuben.

5. phecksel

phecksel Member

Oct 10, 2003

Advertisements

That's in complete disagreement with the 2nd level support guy I got. While he was doing the S3 exchange paperwork, asked him about it, and he recommended not doing it yet. Said there were still some issues they were having, which is why it wasn't officially supported. Of course TIVO would never release software before it's time :rolleyes: