tivo hd restarts when network is used

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by ps2manicx, Dec 15, 2011.

1. ps2manicx

ps2manicx New Member

Dec 15, 2011

Advertisements

Hello,

My tivo hd is rebooting any time I use MUSIC, PHOTO's and MORE options. It seems to try to load then the screen goes blank and reboots.

I have read alot of post claiming this is an early failing hd, so I replaced it with a 1TB (from 160GB) hoping this would fix it. It's still rebooting any time I use streambaby, netflix, amazon, web rss feeds. everything network related causes a reboot.

I can connect to tivo services for updates for the channel guide and pytivo works okay also...:confused:

I also changed out the cat 5 cable to see if it was bad.

any tips or do I just start kicking it (kickstarting that is)

Thanks,

Joe

2. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    What tivo software image was placed on your 1 TB replacement? If you copied the image from your 160GB drive (e.g., with WinMFS) it may have already been corrupted and you just copied the problem to the 1 TB drive.

If you look at the kickstart docs, I think there's a way to force an update to the latest software, which hopefully would fix it.

Have you considered power supply problems?

3. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    Aurora, CO
    +1

Was the tivo working fine for a while then started doing this or is this a new to you Tivo working this way out of the box? Do you have it set for static or DHCP? What happens when you force a connection to Tivo? Try forcing a connection using a phone line also to see what happens there.

4. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    My old TivoHD drive was doing lots of weird things -- "losing" now playing (but it would usually be back after reboot), failing to record (usually after losing now playing), and often rebooting when it was connected to the network. I copied it to another drive, which SEEMED to help for a little while.. then it started happening on that other drive.. and finally got into an infinite reboot loop.

I put in the ORIG drive, and it seems to be working.. (I was thinking for a long time it was a power supply issue)

At some point when drive prices come back down, I hope to try to recover some of the programming on the other drive (in other threads, I've seen talk of copying the video partitions manually).