TiVo HD Rebooting

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by BrennanU, May 18, 2011.

1. BrennanU

BrennanU New Member

Dec 31, 2006
    Ohio
    Hello all just me again with another TiVo issue. Lately my TiVo HD unit has been rebooting periodically. Sometimes as much as twice within an hour show. I just had the unit replaced by TiVo in January due to HDMI, and am wondering what the problem may be now. The unit seems to freeze during recordings and live tv, but some of the time it will recover, and sometimes it will reboot. I have noticed that if you rewind, the pauses are in the same spot.

I did re-install my upgraded hard drive in the new unit when it arrived in January, however it was only installed in the last unit in late March of 2010. I ran a kickstart 54 SMART test and the results are as follows:

Initial State: Pass
    Short Test: Pass
    Conveyance test: No start
    Extended test: No Support
    Offline Scan: No start
    Time elapsed 45:27

The upgraded hard drive is a 1TB Hitachi DeskStar as recommended by the forums. I plan to run an overnight test later tonight. I am not sure if these errors mean the drive doesn't support the tests or if it failed.

Does it seem like the hard drive is going bad after just a year, or is it a motherboard or other issue?

As a side note, is the HDMI out supposed to work with the kickstart, because it is now not showing anything, although I can see the results on the composite outs?

Thanks,
    Brennan

EDIT: I have rebooted the unit now, and the HDMI out is still not working. The composite continue to work.
    EDIT2: The unit now rebooted, and wouldnt start up at all. I have tried pulling the plug and plugging it back in, and I finally got it to boot. (Though it is now acquiring channel information)

2. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Have you tried reinstalling the original drive(the one that came in the Tivo) and compared performance?

3. BrennanU

BrennanU New Member

Dec 31, 2006
    Ohio
    I will give that a try and let you know my results.

4. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    When you do that, you may as well run the manufacturer's diagnostic utility on the Hitachi drive(but do not attempt to correct errors, at least for now). You may need the results print out for warranty service.

5. BrennanU

BrennanU New Member

Dec 31, 2006
    Ohio
  6. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Yes.

Just remember, if at any point it asks if you want it to correct any errors, say no.

It has been a while since I ran it on my drive, when I first bought it.

7. Stuxnet

Stuxnet Alien Infidel

Feb 8, 2011
    The power supply could be another source of rebooting.

8. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Did you try re-installing the original drive? What was the result?

This may help determine if the problem is with the drive, or something else.

9. BrennanU

BrennanU New Member

Dec 31, 2006
    Ohio
    I just reinstalled it earlier tonight. I will have to watch it a little and see how it does.

Brennan

10. BrennanU

BrennanU New Member

Dec 31, 2006
    Ohio
    Just looked at the unit for the first time since booting it up, and realized that it never booted, it is just sitting on a gray screen, even on component. I plan to give TiVo a call and see what they can do for me since I just got this refurbished unit in late January. Since I already have the 1TB drive out, I will probably run diagnostics on it anyway just in case.

Brennan

11. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Probably should at least unplug it, and plug it back in. And actually watch it for a few minutes, at least, to observe what happens.

12. BrennanU

BrennanU New Member

Dec 31, 2006
    Ohio
    I had tried that a couple of times, however I took another look at it and realized that I didn't plug in the SATA/Power cable when I installed the original drive. The HDMI also seems to be working for now. I'll give it a try for a few days now.

Brennan

13. BrennanU

BrennanU New Member

Dec 31, 2006
    Ohio
    OK, I have just run the diagnostics on the 1TB drive two times, and they both came back with no errors. Are the Hitachi tests comprehensive, do they usually miss problems, or are they reliable? The other drive seems to be better in the reboot area, though we haven't watched it much as it doesn't have many shows recorded. I did notice while watching Idol the other night there were alot of points in the program where it would freeze, and jump back in a few seconds later. I will keep you updated with that drive.

Brennan

14. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Try to rule out overheating issues. Check the temperature on the System info screen. Make sure the cooling fan is spinning and free and clean of dust and debris. Same for the motherboard; make sure it's clear of dust. Recheck the sata connection on the mb to make sure it's secure.

Ensure adequate ventilation for the Tivo. Next time it "acts up", recheck the temp again in system info.

Other than that, I can only think of finding even another known healthy hard drive to check in the Tivo to finally rule everything out but power supply, or motherboard issues.

Another possibility: I don't have hdmi, so I don't know what issues could be associated with that. You say you had previous hdmi issues. After trying some of the suggestions above, if the issues continue, maybe try temporarily using another output connection to see if that is still an issue.

Good luck.

15. BrennanU

BrennanU New Member

Dec 31, 2006
    Ohio
    Ok, it has been a few weeks with the original HDD, and I haven't have any problems. The video will stutter every once in a while, but not very frequently. In the meantime, I have run the Seagate diagnostics twice, and it has yet to find any errors. Were would you go from here? Should I assume the HDD is bad, and if so, will Seagate do anything if the test comes back fine?

As far as temperature, it shows about 41C, though it hasn't had any problems lately.

Thanks,
    Brennan

16. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    More investigation required to rule out other possibilities, by:

1. Extended viewing with the original drive that came with the Tivo.
    2. Extended viewing through component output.

So far, the things you have done seem to only prove the drive is ok. No errors with Kickstart, and no errors on the Fitness Test. You seem to have indicated that the issue continued with the original drive, although maybe to a lesser extent.

Seagate or Hitachi?

Out of probably more than 20 drives, I have only had to return 1, and that was to Seagate(most of the drives I've owned have been Seagates/Maxtors, for whatever reason). The return process requested(required?) a printout of the diagnostics report. This was all done as directed by the online RMA process, with no human interaction required on my end(iirc, this was about 5 years ago). I printed the report, shipped the drive and seemingly little more than a week later, I received a new(refurbished) drive.

With your reports of no errors, I'm pretty sure you will need to have some kind of personal communication to return your drive. Pretty sure there is language that returned drives that test good, will be shipped right back to the customer, as is. Please don't quote me on this because, as noted, I've only had to do it once.

Good luck.

17. BrennanU

BrennanU New Member

Dec 31, 2006
    Ohio
    OK. I called TiVo and they shipped a replacement, mainly due to the HDMI issues. When I called and talked to the agent, she suggested that my rebooting and pixelation could be due to having too high of a signal. My signal is at 100 with SNR at 37-38. She said optimally it should be 80-90 for signal with a max of 92 and 34-35 dB max SNR.

Does this make any sense? I know when they originally installed the CableCARDs they prioritized the splitters because they thought I had too little signal. In its usual configuration the main cable in went to a three way splitter with one -7 db to the TiVo one -7 to the Cable Modem and one -3.5 to another three way for the rest of the house.

When I tried moving the TiVo down the chain, It went through the -3.5dB out to another nonlabled three way splitter. Making this change didn't change the SNR or signal.

Also if it makes any difference my Motorola Surfboard Cable modem gets the following signal stats: Downstream Value
    Frequency 657000000 Hz
    Signal To Noise Ratio 38.9 dB
    Power Level 2.9 dBmV

Upstream Value
    Channel ID 1
    Frequency 30600000 Hz
    Power 33.2 dBmV

So what are your thoughts? Is it worth it to schedule a truck roll to check my signal? The rep said that it would be free if there is a problem and $35 if the TiVo was the problem.

Thanks,
    Brennan

18. BrennanU

BrennanU New Member

Dec 31, 2006
    Ohio
    Thoughts on signal strength anyone?

19. BrennanU

BrennanU New Member

Dec 31, 2006
    Ohio
    Anyone? I really hate to throw away $35 because the Cable Tech shows up and says that there isn't anything wrong with my signal strength, or that there is no such thing as too strong of a signal. I am also holding off on setting up the new unit until I figure out what I am going to do here.

Thanks,
    Brennan

20. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I have read on these forums before that too hot a signal was speculated to cause issues.
    The suggested fix was to get an attenuater/filter to get the signals down.

You say you moved your Tivo "down the chain" of your split system, but you noticed no change in the signals.
    Is your splitter supposed to attenuate the signal as well?
    You might try getting a seperate attenuater just for the outlet you use for the Tivo.