Tivo HD rebooting

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Aerorea, May 10, 2011.

1. Aerorea

Aerorea New Member

May 10, 2011
    Last week, I came home to find my 4 yr old Tivo HD was stuck in a rebooting loop at the "Welcome" screen. Doing a power cycle didn't fix it, but it did boot up after leaving it unplugged for an hour. It ran fine for a few days and then it started rebooting again. The rebooting seems random, but more than once it has happened as a key is pressed. When it reboots, it gets stuck in a loop until I unplug and leave it unplugged for a while. I've tried removing the cablecard and repeating guided setup, but it rebooted during the middle of that too. Yesterday, I was finally able to get into Kickstart mode and ran the SMART and the overnight drive tests - both passed. Last night I tried to redo the guided setup with the cablecard inserted and it froze. I gave up and unplugged it. We have a second Tivo HD, also with cablecard, in another room and it is fine. So it's not the cable coming into the house.

I'm at a loss and I don't know what to do. I have lifetime on it and it is out of warranty, so it seems that I am stuck with a broken Tivo until an upgrade w/ transfer offer is available. $450 for a Premiere with yet another lifetime via Tivo isn't an option. :(

Any suggestions? Should I just buy a new HD from WK and give it a try? Should I just give up and hope for an offer?

Thanks so much for your advice. I've had lifetime on a Tivo since my brother gave me a series 1 nearly a decade ago and this is the first time I've faced something that couldn't be fixed. :(

2. A@ron

A@ron New Member

Jul 18, 2003
    Try the kickstart code to test the HDD. http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-kickstart-codes.php
    Also might want to open it up and visually inspect the power supply and its capacitors (they look like cylinders). Don't touch them! Just look to see if they're bulging or leaking/brown crust on top.

If it's the PSU let me know as I may have a spare I can part with.
    If it's the HDD you'll need to get a new one but what a perfect time to upgrade!

3. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    If opening your TiVo and the fairly simple tasks involved in replacing a hard drive or power supply are more than you want to tackle, I suggest calling Weaknees.com and asking for a price to install a new 1 TB drive and a new power supply. Both of these may not be bad, but at the age of this unit it would be good preventative maintenance to replace them. But see what they recommend.

4. Aerorea

Aerorea New Member

May 10, 2011
    Thank you.

I've run the Kickstart 54 drive tests - both SMART and overnight and it passed both. I've already contacted WeaKnees about it, and they say it likely isn't the drive in the case and is probably the Tivo itself. However, on their own forums in a thread about this same type of issue, they say even if it passes the tests, it could still be the drive. You can see why I'm so confused! I'm seriously considering buying a new drive from WK for it anyway. If it doesn't work, I suppose I can always use it to upgrade our other Tivo HD unit.

We don't have a problem opening up the unit. My husband and I both have experience building PC's, though I'll let him do it. :)

5. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    As previously suggested, check for bulging caps in the PS. And check the voltages in the Hard Drive power cables. You should have 5V +/-5% and 12V +/-10%. Watch the exposed voltages!