Tivo HD Rebooting (with new hard drive)

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Rowdy83, May 24, 2011.

1. Rowdy83

Rowdy83 New Member

May 24, 2011
    I have a Tivo HD, new in December 2009. I started having rebooting problems during most playbacks about 1 month ago, so I replaced the HDD with a new Western Digital WD10EVDS 1 TB HDD. The Tivo worked flawlessly for about 2 weeks until last night when it rebooted twice during playback. What might be going on? I guess it's possible the new HDD is going bad, but I tend to think that is unlikely. Could the power supply be bad, and if so, why would it have worked flawlessly for 2 weeks following the HDD swap, when I was previously seeing reboots every 20 - 30 minutes during playback using the old 160 GB HDD?

Some details for the Western Digital WD10EVDS 1 TB HDD replacment: I disabled the Intellipark feature using wdidle3.exe, set the AAM at 128, and used WinMFS to copy over the operating system to the new drive.

Thanks for your help.

2. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Without knowing how your system is set up, some general things to check are:

Recheck all pertinent electrical connections hard drive, motherboard, etc.

Check for overheating issues; thoroughly clean/blow away any dust or dirt that may have collected on connections vents, etc. Make sure the cooling fan is spinning/cooling. Check the operating temperature of the unit in "System Info".

Make sure the unit itself is well ventilated.

Never hurts to run some kind of diagnostics on the drives, if so inclined.

Good luck.

Good luck.

3. Rowdy83

Rowdy83 New Member

May 24, 2011
    Thanks for the advice. I checked all connections in the box, box is dust free, latest reboot (3x in the past hour) happened at around 44C (normal), and cooling fan is running.

What type of HDD diagnostics are you suggesting? I'm assuming I would have to pull the drive out of the box. When you say "system setup", what are you referring to? I've got the Tivo attached to an antenna. There's no external drive attached.

Could there be something going on with the operating system? I've forced it to go out to the Tivo site for updates. FYI, current "software version" is 11.0k-01-2-652.

I've just unplugged the drive to force a hard reboot.

What about power supply?

Thanks!

4. Stuxnet

Stuxnet Alien Infidel

Feb 8, 2011
    You can test the HDD in place with Kickstart 54. Or you can pull the drive and use WD's more exhaustive diagnostic. I'd run the kickstart first.

5. Rowdy83

Rowdy83 New Member

May 24, 2011
    OK, great advice. I ran the Kickstart 57 first since it cleans up database and directory problems. So far, so good; no reboots tonight since running this last night. I'll run the Kickstart 54 next. Thanks!

6. Jun 4, 2011 #6 of 25
    Rowdy83

Rowdy83 New Member

May 24, 2011
    Update: Kickstart 57 seemed to do the trick! No reboots since completed.

7. Jun 4, 2011 #7 of 25
    Stuxnet

Stuxnet Alien Infidel

Feb 8, 2011
    WOW. Glad to hear that!

8. Jun 4, 2011 #8 of 25
    steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I wonder if maybe some file corruption got copied to the new HD. Although why it took 2 weeks to show up, I haven't a clue.
    Good to hear that the kickstarts have fixed the problem.

9. Jun 5, 2011 #9 of 25
    unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I'm pretty sure Kickstart 57 includes what Kickstart 54 does, and some other stuff as well.

10. Rowdy83

Rowdy83 New Member

May 24, 2011
    Well, I spoke too soon. A few days ago I got a white screen followed by multiple reboots and more white screens. Have tried doing various Kickstarts (57, 54, & 58), without much success. The 54 seemed to go through the entire extended test, but returned "no start" at the end of the test. As I said in the original post, this is a new WD 1 TB, so I guess I'm hoping it's not the HDD, but I'm having my doubts. Starting to lose faith in the Tivo...Any ideas? I may get another S3 HD on Amazon since they are currently about $135 for a new unit, as I've already invested $75 on the 1.5 year old unit.

11. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Pull the drive, hook it to the computer, fire up WinMFS, see what mfsinfo has to say.

If WinMFS doesn't complain about it, I'd suspect your power supply and/or TiVo motherboard.

As long as your TiVo is unplugged from the AC and the cover is off, take a good look at the electrolytic capacitors in the power supply (they can still hold a charge after unplugging, so be careful about what you touch), and check all of the cables that run between the power supply and the motherboard and the front panel and whereever to make sure all are fully and properly seated.

12. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    The Tivo HD is going for $65 shipped, new, on ebay. The offer only goes for a few more hours though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120735432407+&clk_rvr_id=239410572022

13. JACKASTOR

JACKASTOR Active Member

May 26, 2011
    ONTARIO,...
    well you can order the Tivo premiere for 99 dollars on ebay. It looks like your software is corrupt. And that would carry over if you copied the drive that was faulty. So not sure but I had a series 2 and i was able to buy an ios when i expanded my system from the 160 g hdd . I still have that drive as a back up. But I am now using a prmeire with a 2tb hd segate green in it.. works great but i just cloned the drive over using the utilitities here..

http://www.rosswalker.co.uk/tivo_upgrade/

it works great. and it was free to download.
    I doubt very much you have a faulty unit.
    but you can buy parts from weaknees

I would look for an ios of the orignal drive that you have.
    and expand it on to the new drive you have..
    One last thing what ever the wd drive was shipped as you should restore to those defaults.. the drive works best in its original format.. ie no parking no alterations to "improve perfomance" the drive will work at its most efficient and safest restored to factory defaults. so undo
    wdidle3.exe, set the AAM at 128 what you did with these two settings.. im thinking once its sorted it will be good.. You may find this hard to believe but I had to copy a failing hdd for a customer and i had to store the bad drive in a fridge to get the drive to stay cool long enough for the transfer to copy correctly over all the information... the reason was electronics get messed up when they over heat.. but generally run best cool. so for example lowering the temp on a CPU by 1 degree can increase the CPU lifespan by 10 years! (the drive in question was over 5 years old and a really bad manufacture.)

thats why i kept the original tivo drives pristine for back ups.
    any way good luck

regards

Jack.

14. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    By ios, I assume you mean .iso, which usually means an image file to be burned to a cd, which uses the iso9660 filetype, so I think what you really mean is a hard drive image file or a truncated backup image made with MFS Live or with WinMFS, since an actual image of the drive would be the size of the drive.

As for putting them in the freezer overnight, wrap a couple of layers of paper towel around it first, so that when you bring it out of the freezer you don't freeze your hands off or get a lot of water condensed onto the metal case of the drive.

15. Stuxnet

Stuxnet Alien Infidel

Feb 8, 2011
    You might look at the power supply. Those are known to fail and lead to unexpected reboots and lockups.

16. JACKASTOR

JACKASTOR Active Member

May 26, 2011
    ONTARIO,...
    Lol yeah I did mean to say iso image got apples ios 5 on my mind

17. JACKASTOR

JACKASTOR Active Member

May 26, 2011
    ONTARIO,...
    I don't mean for a person to place the drive in a freezer that's too extreme. Fridge is all you need to do freezing the drive would toast it the idea is to keep it cool.

18. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I've had good result with frozen drives.

By the time you've taken it out of the freezer and gotten it hooked up it's warmed up a bit anyway.

19. Rowdy83

Rowdy83 New Member

May 24, 2011
    I took dwit's suggestion and purchased a new S3 HD for $65 on ebay. I've been messing around with my current S3 and don't want to put any more money into it. I'm disappointed that I will be moving back to a 160 GB, but am now gun shy to pull the 160 GB and replace with my new 1 TB. Not sure what to do with the 1 TB; perhaps I can put it into my NAS, but am not terribly confident that it doesn't have an issue.

Question: I'm using a surge suppressor strip, but would it be advisable to use a UPS instead? I live in the city and power seems pretty stable. I don't currently use a UPS on any of my computers. Thanks.

20. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Yes, get a UPS. Get one (or more) for your computers as well. Especially any computer you're using to work on TiVo drives with.

You can download an image for a bootable cd from Western Digital that you can use to run their diagnostics on that drive.

If it passes the long test, format it as one big NT partition and stick it in a computer and use that computer to run the free version of TiVo Desktop, and change the default location of the "My TiVo Recordings" folder to that NT partition, and you can back up over your home network from the TiVo(s) to it, freeing up space on the TiVo(s) without losing the show. When you're ready to watch, you can copy it back from the computer.