Tivo HD rebooted 5 times in last hour

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by kiko, Oct 3, 2009.

1. kiko

kiko New Member

Jun 27, 2005

Advertisements

I am about ready to through the box over the 21th floor lani!

What would make it reboot so many times in 1 night. And if you try to play the video it rebooted on, it reboots again.

I'm beginning to wonder if the Tivo Expander is beginning to fail, but everytime I run the kickstart to check it, it passes, and too many shows don't recorde during the kickstart process.

Any Ideas?

2. drey

drey New Member

Jul 21, 2008
    This sounds as either your internal drive or expander are failing. My personal bet would be the expander as those fail pretty often.

- Andrey

3. m_jonis

m_jonis Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Albany, NY
    Could also be the Tivo Software or other hardware. I've replaced my hard drive a few weeks ago and the thing still locks up and I have to reboot it. Almost always locks up when hitting the tivo button to access the main menu (i'll get the background and then that's it. It'll just sit there and you can't do diddley squat).

Full drive scans on the old drive showed no errors, and it's a brand new drive replacement (not addition), so I can only assume it's either some other piece of hardware on the tivoHD that's causing it to lock up, or a bug in the Tivo software.

4. eaayoung

eaayoung Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Lots of reboots here, every couple days.

My reboots seems to be due the Tuning Adapter.

Finally turned it off and the Tivo seems more stable.

5. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
  6. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    The kickstart tests are not a reliable indicator of drive failure. When a drive fails, the kickstart tests will still report no problems 90% of the time.

If you are having reboot problems, the cause is likely either a poor eSATA cable connection or a failing internal or external drive. The 500GB My DVR Expander has developed a reputation for failure after 12-18 months. Refer to the Drive Upgrade FAQ.