Tivo HD QAM and dual video output setup issues

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by mattdon, Oct 17, 2007.

1. mattdon

mattdon New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Hi all,

Just picked up my first Tivo (Tivo HD) yesterday. I have a few questions (please forgive me if they are addressed elsewhere....I looked all over and I've been on the phone with Tivo, but no good answers yet).

1. Can someone confirm that the Tivo HD has NTSC, ATSC, and clear QAM tuners?

2. I have Cox cable in Fairfax, VA. Just Basic cable with no STB. On my recently purchased LCD TV (with ATSC and clear QAM tuners) I get the CATV channels to include the local HD network channels. So in my theater room I would like to duplicate this using my Tivo HD and a projector (with no tuner).

I have not been able to do a channel scan or setup that allows me to see those HD channels. Interestingly, I do get the HD channel from one of the local PBS stations (WETA 26-1). Is there a way to access the other network HD channels? On my other QAM-enabled TV they come in as 4-1 (NBC), 5-1 (Fox), 7-1 (ABC), and 9-1 (CBS).

Seems like I should not need a CableCard to view an unencrypted HD channel. I read somewhere that I can "manually" tune them in, but they won't show up in the guide and I can't use things like season pass, etc. That's OK with me at this point. I just don't understand how to manually tune them in. Any help is appreciated.

Lastly, my home theater setup sends s-video to a zone 2. Does anyone know if the Tivo HD will send video out of both the component and s-video outputs at the same time?

Thanks again and sorry about the long post.

Matt in Fairfax.

2. jbernardis

jbernardis Active Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Princeton NJ
    You can access in-the-clear QAM channels with your tivo by just directly entering the channel number; use the skip-to-tick button to enter the dash. You will not be able to set up any recordings, though, because the tivo does not associate the guide data with these channels. This feature has been requested numerous times in these forums, but to my knowledge it is not forthcoming.

3. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    The channels are probably on their original QAM numbers such as 88-3, 99-2, 104-1, etc. Someone on the HDTV Tivos forum posted a list, but it didn't turn up for me with a search.

You won't get guide information on digital cable channels without a CableCard. The CableCard tells the Tivo what channel numbers correspond to what channels and what guide data IDs.

You will get guide data on off-air channels (from an antenna) without a CableCard.

All video outputs are active at the same time.

You cannot output different channels through different outputs, however.

4. mattdon

mattdon New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Thanks! I'll give it a try tonight.

Matt

5. mattdon

mattdon New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Thank you for the info. Do you think that if my other TV (with clear QAM tuner) "found" those network HD channels and displays them as 4-1, 5-1, etc. that that tells me where to go? Or might they still be something else?

No problem on having zone 2 send the same image as zone 1.

Matt

6. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Chances are the QAM channels will have the same numbers on the TiVo as your TV.