TiVo HD problems

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by kfpauli, Apr 12, 2011.

1. kfpauli

kfpauli New Member

Sep 10, 2007
    Fort...
    My TiVo HD (with a WD expander drive attached) has been acting very strange for the past few weeks. :( Get these odd symptoms:

:confused: The unit very often does not record the entire show. I have "partials" all the time. Oddly enough, sometimes when I get a partial on one program, another one that was recording at the same time is fully recorded!
    :confused: TiVo often acts very slow when using the TiVo Central. Sometimes it takes several minutes for anything to show up.
    :confused: The TiVo sometimes reboots for no reason.
    :eek: Sometimes when it reboots, the black color on the start up screen is purple.
    : (When watching shows, quite often the picture gets jumpy and skips ahead.

Think this is something that can be fixed? I could put in a new drive, but if it's the main unit, I would be wasting my money.
    Think the expander drive could be causing some of this? (I hate to disconnect it because I will lose everything I have recorded.)

Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated! :D

2. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    How old are the drives? Reseat the Sata cable to the external drive. The 500 GB external expander has a lot of failures after 12 to 18 months. Run kickstart 54, although they don't always find every problem. Instructions here:
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=5643823#post5643823
    Or here:
    http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-kickstart-codes.php
    Next step is divorce your external drive and see if that fixes it, although you will lose most of your recordings.
    If either drive is bad, strongly recommend scrapping the external drive and upgrading the internal to 1 TB or 2 TB. If you go full-out DIY this can cost as little as $70. A little more if you just want a swap-in pre-imaged drive.

3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    My THD had the 500 gb expander drive and after almost 3 yrs, it was failing. I removed it and everything is fine albeit, less space. What I did next was to copy over to a 1 Tb drive and now have 157 HD hrs. The time it took is only about 1-2 hrs with a near empty drive using WinMFS. Do not let Windows partition or format the drives or you will lose everything.

4. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Use the free version of TiVo desktop to copy to computer any shows you want to save.

Speaking of the color change, how are you sending the video from the TiVo to the television?

(I once had a black and white boot up because of a flaky S-Video connection)

Start reading the drive expansion and upgrade thread

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=370784

just in case.

Also go to mfslive.org and read up on the MFS Live CD and on WinMFS so you'll be ready to make a backup image if necessary (or even if not, it can't hurt to have a good one on hand).

5. jtreid

jtreid Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Reading, PA
    This, to me, indicates possible signal problems. The fact that you say another program was fully recorded at the same time discounts a hard drive issue. I've seen when my Tivo in my bedroom where signal is marginal and it is attempting to record a suggestion on a channel that is too weak, that the duration of the recording is zero minutes. I would get the cable co. to come check your signal on the suspicious channels.
    Again, signal problems have been known to wreak havoc on Tivo S3's and HD's. There are posts all over this forum about it.
    I've seen some pretty strange things in the past too. I wouldn't worry about this, but again, weak signal = strange behavior.
    Again, pixelization and weird jumping are signs of signal problems. In the early days of the S3, this was commonplace.
    If I were a betting man, I would say it is NOT your drive. People are very quick to blame hard drives since they are often the cause of strange Tivo behavior, but, to me, almost everything you state points back to signal problems.

6. jtreid

jtreid Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Reading, PA
    One other thing...

Make sure you don't have a surge suppressor on your cable. I stupidly did this once using the one in my power strip and it caused me to lose several channels. I had the cable guy out and until we move by entertainment center away from the wall where the power strip was, he was baffled. When he saw the cable connected to the surge suppressor he told me that was the problem. Once removed, all my channels came back.

7. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Yes it would be good to rule out signal problems before suspecting anything else.

While tuned to one or two channels that exhibit problems, go into DVR Diagnostics and check the Signal Strength, SNR and RS Error counts.
    The error counts should be 0 or at least small and not climbing. SNR should be at least 32 dB. Signal Strength should be at least 80. If any of these conditions aren't met, it might be signal problems.

8. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Did he happen to provide an explanation of how the surge suppressor was causing the problem?

9. jtreid

jtreid Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Reading, PA
    Yes. The bandwidth is affected by the suppressor and the signal for the affected channels was being attenuated. The funny thing is I put the suppressor in and I didn't make the connection that the channels disappeared when I put it in. Looking back, it really was kind of a "Doh!" moment.:eek: