TiVo HD powers itself off

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by AlanBDahl, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Jan 6, 2012 #1 of 11
    AlanBDahl

AlanBDahl Member

Jul 13, 2004
    Three times over the last couple of weeks I've hit the TiVo button on my remote only to have "Welcome Powering Up" display. The TiVo then boots and all is well. I don't think it is hung because the case is stone cold. The only other symptom is that once it boots I get the grey screen with the "press the Tivo button" message rather than just going straight into the TiVo startup movie. I do usually sleep it using Messages & Settings->Standby.

Could this be the sign of a bad HD or bad power supply or is it more likely a software issue related to my use of "Standby"?

I might run the HD test and I'll probably not use the standby button (I use that to keep the Tivo from putting sound through my stereo should I forget to turn that off) and see if either of those help. Any other ideas?

2. Jan 6, 2012 #2 of 11
    bshrock

bshrock Member

Jan 6, 2012
    Could turning on the TV be causing a power sag? Move the TiVo's power to a different outlet/power strip.

3. Jan 7, 2012 #3 of 11
    unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Do you have a WD Caviar Green inside that thing?

An external drive?

Looked at the capacitors on the power supply lately?

4. Jan 8, 2012 #4 of 11
    AlanBDahl

AlanBDahl Member

Jul 13, 2004
    The unit is 100% stock. Ran the SMART test and got the following:

Test passed Primary Secondary
    Initial state Fail No drive
    Short test Fail 4
    Conveyance test Fail 4
    Extended test Fail 4
    Off-line scan Done

Test time (est.) 70:00
    Test time (elapsed) 45:16

I later ran most of the other tests on the kickstart 54 menu and they all passed. Since I ran the test I have seen no further problems so I am unsure where to go next. If it fails again I might try the kickstart 57 option or just break down and send it in for repair.

5. Jan 9, 2012 #5 of 11
    unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    You need to take the drive out, hook it to a PC, boot said PC with the cd with WD's diagnostic software on it, and run the long test.

While you've got the TiVo open, you need to carefully inspect the power supply capacitors.

If the power supply is starting to have problems, that could interfere in communications between the drive and the TiVo motherboard which might give incorrect results when you run KS 54.

6. AlanBDahl

AlanBDahl Member

Jul 13, 2004
    Unfortunately I do not own a PC so I can't do that and I don't think I can test it with my Mac. There's a local guy that does Tivo repairs and put a new HD in my mom's Series 2 so I thought I would go to him.

BTW it failed again yesterday and I wanted to also note that while I get the "Welcoming Powering Up" message when I hit the Tivo button it doesn't power up no matter how long I wait until I pull the plug and hook it up again. I am wondering if perhaps this could be a bug in the sleep function so I am going to not sleep it and see if it dies again.

7. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    The "Welcome, powering up" screen is on the motherboard and you get it when you plug the TiVo in, even if you don't have a hard drive installed inside it.

It'll stay there until the TiVo has things organized enough to turn control over the software on the hard drive. About 1 minute in it'll blink the lights and that's when you can catch it and enter a Kickstart code.

The "Just a few more minutes" screen is on the hard drive and should come up about 30 to 60 seconds after the Kickstart blink.

At that point it'll do any kickstart command it's received, if it has, otherwise it'll keep booting, if nothing's wrong with the unit.

You can push remote buttons 'til you're blue in the face and your thumb falls off, and it won't change any of the above (with the obvious exception of hitting pause at the right time and entering a kickstart code, but that won't speed things up a bit).

If it doesn't get beyond the Welcome screen, or goes to a snowy-ish gray screen, that means a problem communicating with the hard drive, which could be the drive, the data cable, the power cable, or the power supply.

Assuming the front panel to motherboard connection hasn't been disturbed.

Get you TiVo fixing guy to make sure Intellipark isn't enabled on the drive (probably not, but make sure), to run the long WD test on the drive, and to check the power supply capacitors and put a voltmeter on the power supply outputs under load. If he doesn't understand any of the above, take it to someone who does.

8. AlanBDahl

AlanBDahl Member

Jul 13, 2004
    The only weird thing is that the "Welcome" message does not appear until I hit the Tivo button, there is nothing displayed on the screen until I do. Also so far it has booted every time with no issues once I power cycle it. I think I'll watch what programs I have saved that I care about and then try a kickstart 57. If that doesn't do the trick then it's off to the repair guy.

9. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    You got that hooked up via HDMI?

10. AlanBDahl

AlanBDahl Member

Jul 13, 2004
    Yes, it is hooked up via HDMI.

11. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    hook it up to something via component or composite video cables and plug it into the wall and see if you don't get the Welcome screen almost immediately.