TiVo HD picture freezes

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by andyw715, Nov 29, 2007.

1. Nov 29, 2007 #1 of 1091
    andyw715

andyw715 Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2007

Advertisements

Sometimes while switching channels on one tune while another is recording. The buffer will only record about 2 seconds of video then stop, freeze frame. The audio is still playing.

When this happens, any video (stuff in NPL and live video) does the same.

The only recourse is to reset the system.

Is this indication of a pending failure somewhere? (The TivoHD is about 3 months old)

Note: this is a TiVo HD connected via analog cable service.

Thanks

2. Feb 7, 2008 #2 of 1091
    richwiss

richwiss New Member

Feb 27, 2003
    I just got the same thing -- did you ever figure out the problem?

3. Feb 7, 2008 #3 of 1091
    MungoJerrie

MungoJerrie Member

Mar 30, 2006
  4. Feb 9, 2008 #4 of 1091
    Interactive

Interactive New Member

Jan 16, 2003
    McKinney, TX
    I believe this is a different problem than the one in your linked thread. I found this thread while trying to research a recent problem with a 28 day-old Tivo HD where the video just freezes. It's now happened 3 times within 1 week with the exact same circumstances. Video just stops playing but the audio typically keeps on going. Even if I return to Now Playing and select a recorded show, we get the same result: freeze frame video and the audio keeps going. A couple of times tonight the audio stopped as well, however.

In every case, when I go through the menu initiated reset, it clears the problem for now.

With the unit being 28 days old and having been purchased at BB, I'm temped to bring it back tomorrow for a replacement.

Before I do, I sure wish someone could confirm this is a hardware issue vs. a known issue on the software side.

5. Feb 9, 2008 #5 of 1091
    bdlucas

bdlucas Right side up again.

Feb 15, 2004
    Exurbia

Advertisements

I've been seeing the same problem in the past few weeks. Any channel you switch to will show video for a couple of seconds and then freeze, with the audio still going. Switch to another channel and it does the same thing.

Have to believe this is a software glitch.

6. Feb 10, 2008 #6 of 1091
    Interactive

Interactive New Member

Jan 16, 2003
    McKinney, TX
    I tend to agree, but it seems that if it were software, more people would be posting since we're all running the same stuff.

Is it possible there's a hardware issue beginning to pop up?

I haven't checked but isn't my S3 using the same software version? I've had that unit for several months and never saw anything like this.

7. Feb 16, 2008 #7 of 1091
    tivoROCKSme

tivoROCKSme New Member

Jun 23, 2003
    I have the exact same symptoms here. It's happened twice to me in the past 5 days. I hope it doesn't get worse. Video freezes, audio usually continues. Doesn't matter if it's a previously recorded program or live tv. You can sometimes fast forward, but as soon as you resume normal play, video freeze. Anyone else? Software bug?

8. Feb 16, 2008 #8 of 1091
    Interactive

Interactive New Member

Jan 16, 2003
    McKinney, TX
    It hasn't happened to me since my last post. I spoke with TiVo tech support who told me to try power cycling the unit rather than just a soft reset from the UI. Of course, that's a basic, lame response from a tech support line.

9. Feb 16, 2008 #9 of 1091
    dnapier

dnapier New Member

May 10, 2006
    I've had the same problem with my TivoHD. The unit is less than a month old and started this within the first week. I was hoping it was just a handshaking issue with HDMI, but the same thing happens with component cables. This appears to be the same bug that causes some users to get the "gray screen". Problem is temporarily solved with a reboot of the Tivo, but re-occurs about every 4 days.
    Anyone found a cure, yet?

10. Feb 17, 2008 #10 of 1091
    gmark

gmark New Member

Jul 10, 2002
    When this problem "goes away", does it still affect the recorded material? That is, is the problem only in playback, or is it in the recording?

Also, is it limited to HD material? I've noticed that there are some recordings that are affected and some that aren't, and they remain so -- an affected recording is just damaged, and a non-affected recording isn't, so it doesn't seem to be related to the playing, but rather how the material was recorded.

Sound like what others are seeing?

Mark

11. Feb 17, 2008 #11 of 1091
    cleadeb

cleadeb New Member

Jan 2, 2006
    Chicago
    I am having the same issue and it is only when I am recording or viewing HD content. The video freezes and the audio continues to play and if I switch to the other tuner and then come back, it clears up. Sometimes, I can even just rewind and it fixes the issue. Additionally, I am having problems where the audio goes out and then if I switch tuners or channels, it comes back. The other day, it recorded a program where the audio was completely gone. I've had the unit for about 3 months now and just started having these issues. Can anyone tell me if there is a fix for this? Thanks so much.

12. Feb 18, 2008 #12 of 1091
    MustHaveTivo

MustHaveTivo Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Sierra Madre CA
    Yep. Frozen video with continuing audio on all channels, and on saved recordings.

This just happened with it recording SD on one channel and HD on another (HBO). After rebooting, the partial SD recording is available in Now Playing, but the HD recording is not. In To-Do list, it reports "this program was not recorded because the power was lost or the TiVo HD DVR was unplugged." There's no sign of power loss in nearby components. I notice a couple separate reports of this message, without report of video freeze:
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=384731

Spouse reports the TiVo was paused, and asked to change channels on the other tuner when this happened. Also says it was about 10 min past the top of the hour, when it would have been appropriate to change the channel for the scheduled HD recording.

This is a 2.5 month old THD ordered from tivo.com and upgraded to 1TB drive. No appreciable problems with it up until this.

13. Feb 18, 2008 #13 of 1091
    moldymac

moldymac New Member

Mar 26, 2006
    I have the same problem, probably once a week. It seems to work after a restart, but does keep coming back

14. Feb 20, 2008 #14 of 1091
    ciucca

ciucca New Member

Jun 29, 2004
    Just happened to me last night. I don't have my HD hooked up to HDMI or watch the HD stations. It was tuned to local FOX station SD version and SD HBO. This morning my kids turned on the TV and the picture was frozen with the audio still going. A reboot fixed it for now.

Let's see pixelation and now this :( I hope the new software tivoPony is promising fixes bugs without any new features. Where is that software update anyway?!

15. Feb 20, 2008 #15 of 1091
    gmark

gmark New Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Who's "tivoPony"? The Tivo corporate guy? Where can I find information about this upgrade?

As a related issue, how many time has the SW been updated on these new HD Tivos? Have there been any updates? Are the software images common to all Tivos?

thx.

Mark

16. Mar 10, 2008 #16 of 1091
    substance12

substance12 Member

Feb 6, 2008
    this problem just happened to me as well. My THD is about a month old. The only thing I can think of that has changed is the use of pytivo, though I don't see how that causes this issue. I have not upgraded my hdd either. when I switch tuners, it works... but when I go back, it's still frozen. when I play recorded shows, the audio plays but the picture is frozen.

17. Mar 11, 2008 #17 of 1091
    wackymann

wackymann Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Boston Area
    This happened to my Tivo-HD as well. I thought it was dead. A restart fixed it.

18. Mar 11, 2008 #18 of 1091
    dkahs23

dkahs23 New Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Palm Coast,...
    Add my name to the list. But mine isn't fixed. A restart didn't do anything. I even did a delete and clear everything. And still nothing.

19. Mar 13, 2008 #19 of 1091
    rickeyjay

rickeyjay New Member

Sep 25, 2007
    I have been having this problem for a few weeks. Both live and recorded. Thought it was a Time Warner problem. Guess not.

20. Mar 13, 2008 #20 of 1091
    nirvanayoda

nirvanayoda New Member

Aug 11, 2006
    I have this problem as well.