TiVo HD peanut oddity

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by alansplace, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Aug 2, 2007 #1 of 12
    alansplace

alansplace ------ Alan ------

Apr 30, 2006
    Southern...
    has anyone noticed this? does anyone have a solution?

i programmed my new 652 and the new peanut that came with it with switch position 1 as remote address 3 and then programmed switch position 2 as remote address 4 to control my 649 that is sitting next to the 652. this new peanut is different than earlier peanut remotes that i have. the button that used to do nothing and was marked 'window' is now marked 'aspect', and actually has a function (with the 652).

all works normally when controlling the 652, but when controlling the 649 the 'live tv' button does not toggle between tuners as it does when controlling the 652 (and as all my other peanuts do). instead it acts the same as the 'guide' button!
    --
    Alan :D

2. Aug 2, 2007 #2 of 12
    rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    It tends to happen when the TiVo gets confused and can't differentiate your LiveTV button from the old S1 style remotes. You can hit the TiVo button to get it to reset but it seems lately it doesn't always work. Rebooting will fix it to but that isn't desirable.

3. Aug 2, 2007 #3 of 12
    sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    In my experience the "TiVo" button actually has different IR codes depending on which model you are using. On the S3 if I use the "TiVo" button from an S1, it reconfigured the IR behavior and I lose the ability to switch tuners using LiveTV. If I then send the TiVo button IR from an S3, the behavior returns to standard S3 behavior.

So basically the behavior of the unit depends on which "TiVo" IR code it receives.

4. Aug 3, 2007 #4 of 12
    alansplace

Apr 30, 2006
    Southern...
    thanks, but i have no s1 peanuts, this is happening with the peanut that came with the 652. my other peanuts are all 34 button s2 peanuts (dark gray packaged with the 540 or black packaged with the 649).
    --

5. Aug 3, 2007 #5 of 12
    nocturne1

nocturne1 Member

Aug 17, 2004
    Anyone's HD peanut happen to have a REALLY sensitive channel up/down button? I barely touch the thing and it changes.... Feels a lot different than the one from my DT..

6. Aug 3, 2007 #6 of 12
    sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    My point wasn't the specific peanuts you have (I just mentioned mine as an example). My point was with different IR it can behave differently and also there is code within TiVo to behave differently to the same IR.

The window (now named aspect) on your old remote generates the same IR code that the aspect button does on your new remote. The 652 just chooses to respond to it with changing the video display mode.

Are you saying the 649 used to switch tuners with the LiveTV button but doesn't when using the 652 remote, or are you pointing out the 652 unit switches tuners but the 649 doesn't?

If the latter, then ok, you are pointing out the 649 is simply setup up to respond differently to IR.

If the former then it is possible sending a different TiVo IR code has caused your device to switch IR operating modes.

In that case, I would reset both remotes to unit 0, reboot the 649 unit, and see if LiveTV functionality of switching tuners returns.

Basically the thing to remember is almost all (maybe all) the buttons on the various TiVo remotes generate the same IR code (including window, aspect), except the TiVo button. If a device is behaving differently it isn't because the IR code is different for that button on the remote, it is either because it is programmed to behave differently or because it was tricked into behaving differently by receiving a TiVo button IR code it wasn't expecting.

7. Aug 3, 2007 #7 of 12
    bryan.lynch

bryan.lynch New Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Yeah, my channel up/down is EXTREMELY sensitive. To the point of being annoying. The volume up/down is fine.

Is everyone's like this?

8. Aug 3, 2007 #8 of 12
    alansplace

Apr 30, 2006
    Southern...
    exactly.

and it still does switch tuners with any of the old remotes i've tested
    --

9. Aug 3, 2007 #9 of 12
    alansplace

Apr 30, 2006
    Southern...
    the problem has gone away all by itself!!
    --

10. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    That is because the Tivo software will recheck that you aren't using the old style guide/livetv button. It use to do this re-check when you went to Tivo Central and then hit the guide button, but it seems to be flaky the way it does it with newer software. I have seen this on my S2 DT plenty of times even though I am sending the correct S2 style code for the Guide button. Oh well, it will generally fix itself pretty quickly.

11. alansplace

Apr 30, 2006
    Southern...
    well, i'm glad it did what it did!
    --

12. alansplace

Apr 30, 2006
    Southern...
    but it didn't last!!! :(

the behavior returned and this time not only did the new peanut that came with the 652 bring up the guide when pressing the live tv button, but the peanut that came with the 649 was doing it as well.

so i rebooted the 649 which restored its normal behavior. then i removed the batteries from the peanut that came with the 652, and put that peanut back in the box.

now i'm back to controlling the 652 and the 649 exclusively with the peanut that came with the 649 and all seems well so far. :)
    --