Tivo HD or S3 Box?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Resist, Oct 13, 2007.

1. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    I want to purchase 2 hi def Tivo boxes but can't decide which ones to get. I currently have a Tivo Series 2 box and love it. I also am leasing a Scientific Atlanta 8000 HD DVR from Charter Cable and hate it.

Please help me decide what to get.

I want to be able to get in on the lifetime transfer thing too. But fear with the holidays approaching a better deal will come up, as they always do. This is a big investment so I want to keep the costs down if possible.

2. SCSIRAID

SCSIRAID Active Member

Feb 2, 2003
    Vero Beach, FL
    I have one of each. I prefer the S3. It seems to be faster (but that could just be firmware and change in the future) and I like the Glow Remote. However, it would be tough to justify the higher cost of the S3. The capacity difference could a factor to some if they dont intend to add esata or open it up and replace the drive.

3. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    I was thinking about getting an S3 for our main TV and the HD box for our bedroom TV. If I get the HD box directly from Tivo for $299, then I can do the $199 lifetime transfer thing. Then get an S3 that has a $200 off mail in rebate deal, bringing its price down to around $400 and get free shipping. Then possibly get a discount on a 3 years service agreement for the HD box. Then get one Multi-stream cablecard from Charter Cable for the HD box and two Single-stream cards for the S3. The cards lease for $1.50 each a month in my area. Then hopefully if Tivo does a software update to the S3 so it can utilize a Multi-stream cable card that will save me $1.50 a month.

Oh and I forgot, then I have to get another Tivo Network Adapter for $50.

One more thing, our main TV is a high def Samsung DLP wide screen. Our bedroom TV is an old Sony non-high def. We want to upgrade upgrade it in the near future. But for now the Tivo package upgrade will cost us around $1000.

Someone please help me put this deal together or find me a lower price!

4. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Now here is another posibility, after reading the lifetime transfer thing I see that Tivo will allow you to keep service on the existing Tivo, for a year as part of the deal. So maybe I should just for the S3 for now and get the Tivo HD. Then when we do get a better TV for the bedroom get an S3 and hopefully the prices will be lower and they will use Multi-streaming cablecards. This option would save me money initially.

Hmmmm.

5. SCSIRAID

SCSIRAID Active Member

Feb 2, 2003
    Vero Beach, FL
    Decisions decisions..... so many toys and so little time....

6. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Bad news.....I just saw this: Product Lifetime Subscriptions eligible to be transferred to a Qualifying DVR pursuant to this Offer must be (1) activated prior to October 1, 2003.

Our Series 2 Tivo was purchased mid December of 2003. I just can't believe it, I missed out on this deal by less than 3 months!!!!! If I can't transfer my lifetime service then I see no reason to upgrade.

7. MapleLeaf

MapleLeaf Member

Oct 12, 2007
    Redmond, WA
    Despite the wording of the offer, you don't need to buy the THD directly from Tivo in order to be eligible for the $199 lifetime transfer. The thread regarding the lifetime transfer offer has numerous replies over the last day or two indicating that people have successfully performed the transfer even though they didn't purchase the unit from Tivo. Amazon currently has it for $245, so that would be a pretty good deal to jump on if you're purchasing now.

Edit: You posted your reply regarding ineligibility while I was posting my reply. Obviously, you'll want to rethink the Tivo HD purchase given the fact that you may be ineligible for the lifetime transfer. I suppose you could call up Tivo and plead your case and see if they'll make an exception. Alternatively, you might also call them up and ask them if the S3 lifetime transfer is still available. It officially expired a long time ago, but lots of people have claimed that they were successful in effecting the transfer well past the official deadline.

8. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Yes I saw the posts where others are still getting the lifetime transfer even though the boxes were purchased elsewhere.

I am so mad that I can't get the lifetime transfer deal. That was my whole incentive for upgrading. I sure don't want to have to keep the SA8000 DVR.

9. SCSIRAID

SCSIRAID Active Member

Feb 2, 2003
    Vero Beach, FL
    I wouldnt give up so quickly. Give Tivo sales a call and plead your case. They may make an exception. You might also send a PM to TivoPony or TivoJerry and see what they have to say.

10. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    I just got off the phone with Tivo. What a bad connection it was, sounded like internet phone or from another country. Anyway, they said there was no way they make an exception. They were even surprised that other people were allowed the deal if they bought the HD box from anyone other than Tivo.

So at this point I will pass on a Tivo HD box and suffer with my SA8000 HD DVR.

Maybe the deal will come around again near Christmas time and then I would qualify. I'm sure the boxes will even be cheaper then.

11. SCSIRAID

SCSIRAID Active Member

Feb 2, 2003
    Vero Beach, FL
    Call again on Monday.... Perhaps you could tell them you will buy right now if they will make the exception.

12. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    I did tell them I would buy right now if they made and exception. I even told them that Tivo just lost my business because of their refusal to be flexable. They just said there was nothing they could do.

13. SCSIRAID

SCSIRAID Active Member

Feb 2, 2003
    Vero Beach, FL
    Dont give up! :D

You might consider a PM to TivoPony.

14. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
  15. Big Ry

Big Ry New Member

Oct 14, 2007
    You can get a refurb S3 with a refurb network adapter for $462 with free shipping on on web specials page.

16. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    True, but that is with a monthly service agreement. Plus I don't like buying used electronics. And I still can't transfer my lifetime subscription or get a new lifetime for the S3.