Tivo HD & Linksys

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by dkahs23, Sep 12, 2007.

1. dkahs23

dkahs23 New Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Palm Coast,...
    Does anyone know if the Linksys USB will work with the Tivo HD. Mine doesn't seem to work. It says it is incompatible.

2. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Only the Tivo-branded wireless adapter works with the TivoHD.

You can use any ethernet->wireless bridge (also known as a gaming adapter).

3. dkahs23

dkahs23 New Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Palm Coast,...
    Okay Thanks

4. debnjay

debnjay New Member

Jan 29, 2005
    Any idea why? I've used the linksys wireless adapters on my S2 boxes for years even though the support pages didn't always list them as being compatible. They're listed now but I thought I remember using them before they were listed on the pages as officially supported.

Just curious.

5. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    New hardware - when they updated the software they didn't bring over the drivers for the other adapters.

6. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    Because Tivo removed the drivers for them? :D

One of the reasons Tivo came up with their own wireless adapter is so they could have total control of the hardware and driver support.

The Tivo adapter is such a better performer compared to any of the previous options, it really doesn't make much sense to support anything else unless you really have to. I doubt they'll take the existing support out of the previous platforms, but with the THD being brand new, they could say "Tivo Wireless G only"

7. CCourtney

CCourtney Member

Mar 28, 2006
    El Dorado...
    FYI, the TiVo Wireless G goes for $40 on Amazon.com.

If you can't take the wait but don't want to pay retail you can do what I did. I ordered it from Amazon and went to me local Fry's store and purchased one to use temporarily at retail pricing. Then when it came in from Amazon, I took the new unopened box back to Fry's for a refund (and promptly spend another couple hundred bucks in there store.)

CCourtney

8. blhirsch

blhirsch Tivo-riffic!

Mar 1, 2003
    It's expensive, though, for what it is. For $79, you can get a refurbished Airport Express, and use it to expand your network via WDS, use AirTunes to get your iTunes library to your receiver (I like the interface better than doing it over the Tivo), and then use the ethernet port for the Tivo.

9. GoHokies!

GoHokies! O2->CO2 Converter

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
    The previous system just got too cumbersome as manufacturers made small hardware changes that broke functionality.

"Linksys model XYZ-1413, but only Rev. B1 with a serial number starting with a 3 digit prime number, manufactured on an even numbered day" was just too much of a pain to try and support. :D

10. RossoNeri

RossoNeri Tech Geek

Nov 26, 2005
    Herndon, VA
    But doesn't the Airport Express work as an Ethernet bridge if our base station is an Airport? From the Apple website:

"AirPort Express can extend the range only of an AirPort Extreme or AirPort Express wireless network."

That statement has kept me from buying an Airport Express. The music functionality is not enough to warrant one and I use a Linksys base station so I cannot use the bridging functionality.

I'd love to be proven wrong, though... :D

Cheers.

11. GoHokies!

GoHokies! O2->CO2 Converter

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
    I'd love for you to be proven right, just so I can keep that off of my list of gadgets that I "must have" :D

12. RFDuncan

RFDuncan New Member

Sep 5, 2007
    Washington DC
    Yes, the Linksys gaming adapter I have works like a champ. Just gotta make sure it is set to LINE since the TiVo has a network card in it.

13. aharris999

aharris999 New Member

Aug 13, 2007
    I did the exact same thing at Best Buy and Amazon. A nice, quick workaround to get your adapter right away but still keep the net expense down at about $40.

14. blhirsch

blhirsch Tivo-riffic!

Mar 1, 2003
    This is not technically true, there are workarounds. As long as you can get your Linksys to do WDS (there are firmware uploads that will enable this) you can then manually set your airport express to operate as a remote WDS station, extending the range of your wireless network and also keeping the ethernet port active. Using Apple's built-in range extension functions disable the ethernet port and limit it to Apple base stations as the main base station.

I'd run a google search on airport express, linksys, and WDS. I don't have time right now to find any online tutorials, but they are out there. I have an airport extreme base station as the main station, but I had to go through the whole WDS rigamarole to keep the ethernet port active. I needed that because the DirecTivos, while capable of being enabled for networking, do not have any onboard wireless drivers. I didn't want to fiddle with uploading any, so I just made sure it thought it was on a wired network. The airport express operates as a bridge. And now my HDtivo is on an airport express. Didn't much want to purchase some kind of wireless adapter I didn't really need.

Speedy network, too. I get good MRV throughput between DirecTivos.

15. Jazhuis

Jazhuis New Member

Aug 30, 2006
    Translation: "AirPort Express only officially supports extending the range of an AirPort Extreme or AirPort Express wireless network. If you try and use it with some random vendor's equipment, please don't ask us [Apple] why it isn't working." :p
    No worries. I've used my AE in WDS mode with a Linksys WRT-54G, both with Linksys firmware, and with DD-WRT. The Linksys/AE combo didn't work at one time, but at some point there was a Linksys firmware update that...just made it work. Wasn't advertised in the changelogs or anything.

Now, I can't absolutely guarantee that it will work with the particular Linksys model you have, but there are odds that it will. The initial "Airport Express won't WDS with other vendors" furor has been fixed for some time now. For reference, I have:
    * Linksys WRT-54G (DD-WRT 3rd-party firmware) base station
    * Buffalo WHR-54G (DD-WRT 3rd-party firmware) behind the TV in the living room acting as a wireless bridge (for my S3 and other devices)
    * Airport Express upstairs, connected to my S2 via Linksys wired USB dongle.

Hardware from three vendors, all playing nice. Honestly, the trickiest part was trying to figure out what settings Apple wanted me to use in the AE to get it to bridge.

16. opus472

opus472 Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Is it worth getting the WRT54GS with speed booster, or just stick to the WRT54G?

17. bizzy

bizzy New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    San...
    the good ol' WRT54G hasn't failed me yet- I have two in my house, one at my father-in-law's, one at his rental property, and one at my wife's grandparents' house.