Tivo HD - Light's On, No One is Home

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by mwwilliams10, Sep 6, 2007.

1. mwwilliams10

mwwilliams10 New Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Hello:

I bought a Tivo HD three weeks ago and use it with RCN Chicago and two Moto CCs. HDMI and optical connections.

About ten days after I bought the Tivo, I turn on my system to discover that the picture is blank (black - "No Signal") and there is no audio. The Tivo's green light is on, but the normally present "Fixed" and "720P" lights are off.

When I push buttons on the remote, the Tivo is completely unresponsive (no sound, no picture, no amber remote light). I try to re-seat the audio/video connections to no avail. I pull and re-seat the CCs. Finally, I power cycle the Tivo. However, even this does not work (I get the normal "Powering UP" screen but it then goes black). Finally, for reasons unknown, it restarts and, after going to Tivo Central, it puts a blue screen with a black and white ying-yang thing that says "Acquiring Channel Lineup". After a minute, things return to normal and all the program guide is present.

This happened Friday, August 24th and late last night (or early this morning), September 5 (I mention this because I know there was an update that was released right around the latter date).

Any ideas?

2. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    What kind of TV do you have? Others have reported that some displays don't support 480i over HDMI, which is apparently what the second boot screen ("almost there") is sent in. This can cause the "black screen" you are seeing with only the green LED on and no format LEDs. The box should still be booting.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=363594

What you're seeing with the blue "acquiring channels" and swirlie icon are normal after a boot (at least, I see that a lot).

3. mwwilliams10

mwwilliams10 New Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Panasonic 50" plasma display (professional series, 8UK version).

I called Tivo and they said they have never heard of this issue before. They want to swap boxes but, since I am within my 30 days, I am probably better off returning it and getting it from Costco or directly from Tivo (better exchange policy and warranty than Circuit City).

4. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Well, you could also try a different connection than HDMI.

5. mwwilliams10

mwwilliams10 New Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Yes, but no sound, no response to the remote (in the form of the light on the box), and the other lights out on the face indicates that it is not a problem with video connection but a systemic problem.

6. mwwilliams10

mwwilliams10 New Member

Aug 22, 2007
    It appears the freezing occurs after updates - any chance Tivo could look into this issue?

Other Problems