TIVO HD 'legs'

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by pacor, Jun 15, 2016.

1. pacor

pacor Member

Dec 26, 2001
    Lewisville, TX
    I'm looking for the 'legs' things that go under the TIVO. They are Gray color and made of some sort of rubber. All of them have broken on my TIVO HD's. On the first two I just put a piece of wood under it to lift the TIVO, so the air could circulate better. The wood is not stable and the TIVO shift if somebody bumps the furniture where the TIVO is. I have done some searches, but not been able to find anything. Don't even know exactly what is the correct term for that part is.

2. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    they're feet, not legs which may be why you're not getting the right term, and they're all dead at this point, ebay will help find them and there's at least one or two threads in the S3 forum that has an ebay link.

3. CCourtney

CCourtney Member

Mar 28, 2006
    El Dorado...
    I just bought some 'Rubber Bumber Bumper Feet' and stuck them on the bottom after my TiVo HD's feet disintegrated.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  4. dianebrat

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    BUMPER....
    I'm mystified as to how many people misspell that one.
    :D

5. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If they've broken into large pieces, instead of crumbling into a lot of small ones, here's maybe a way to save them.

Turn TiVo upside down, place gently on tabletop.

Use small flat blade screwdriver or knife point to pry up black button in middle.

Carefully remove feet from TiVo.

It's best if you can keep the black "tube" that the button shaft stuck through in the foot.

Use some superglue along the edges of the broken off pieces to put the feet back together.

Let them set up.

Take some silicon sealant, possibly called aquarium sealer or many other possible names--it's what's called RTV, or Room Temperature Vulcanizing, it smells like vinegar when it's curing (gives off acetic acid fumes), and it takes about 24 hours to set up properly. When cured it's sort of rubbery.

Think the TiVo feet, turn them "upside down", so that you're looking down at them the way the bottom of a TiVo would, with the hollowed out part facing up.

Think of it as a circular moat.

Fill in the moat with the silicon sealer.

Have a plastic spoon and disposable cup of ice water handy, dip the spoon in the water, use the backside to smooth down the silicon evenly all around the moat.

After the silicon cures it should adhere to the pieces of the foot and hold them together and provide some internal strength and rigidity to the feet, while still absorbing vibrations to help keep things quiet.

6. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  7. dianebrat

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
  8. alevenso

alevenso Member

May 8, 2016
    the big box home improvement stores carry rubber feet in the section where they sell sliders for furniture and feet for chairs , etc....

9. CCourtney

CCourtney Member

Mar 28, 2006
    El Dorado...
    Ok, ok, I didn't re-read what I wrote before I posted it. I try to re-read what I've typed before I post, because I tend to type: there, their, they're - your, you're - - where, were, and we're indiscriminately even though I know damn well what the difference is as well as making stupid spelling mistakes, etc.

FWIW, when I'm typing my grammar processing filter shuts down ;)

10. dianebrat

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish