TiVo HD - Information for SA CableCard Users

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by TiVoPony, Aug 21, 2007.

1. TiVoPony

TiVoPony New Member

May 11, 2002
    Alviso,...
    Hey guys, another update regarding the progress being made.

We've identified a potential fix for the issues some of you have experienced with Scientific Atlanta CableCards, and it's testing very well in beta. It's a change that needs to soak in testing for a bit yet (to set expectations, we're looking at minimum a couple of weeks). So far, so good though.

Again, it appears that a software update will resolve the issue. I'll keep you posted when the new update is ready.

Thanks again,
    Pony

2. hank12345

hank12345 Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Thanks Pony, for keeping us informed... I continue to have faith!

Hank

3. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    be sure to send Thanks :up: to the engineers who are working so hard on this and getting real progress when it counts. :)

4. foamy909

foamy909 Member

Mar 29, 2005
    Just curious if this potential fix would apply to the Series 3 as well as TiVoHD. I don't have a huge pixelation problem with my SA cablecards, but I would be interested if it helps with some of the problems on that platform as well...

5. CharlesH

CharlesH Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Sacramento...
    Being a software developer, I can appreciate that these kinds of issues are REALLY tough to diagnose. Finding a consistent scenario to reproduce the problem can take forever. What can make it worse, is that when you use a version of the software with instrumentation to catch/log the problem, sometimes the problem will go away :eek: since the timing and memory layout isn't quite the same. And when you think you have the fix, you just have to let it age for a while in testing, like a fine red wine :)

6. crazywater

crazywater USS TiVo NCC-1780

Mar 7, 2001
    USA
    Is this a fix that can be refit for the Series 3 as well? Many here are experiencing macroblocking using SA cable cards with the S3 including me!

7. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    just to clarify to be sure, my post was a sincere thnaks and not a sarcastic one. For the reasons Charles list I know the engineers are working very hard to produce this kind of progress

8. CharlesH

CharlesH Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Sacramento...
    Absolutely sincere. I've been in computer science/software development for over 30 years, and can relate to these kinds of problems.

9. TiVotion

TiVotion Early Adoptersaurus

Dec 6, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Just a little reassurance for anyone who might still be experiencing picture quality issues.

In December, I'll have been a TiVo customer for 5 years. In that time, I've seen TiVo address several issues and work diligently to resolve them. Unfortunately, stuff happens. Anything software-based is going to have some degree of issues with drivers and coding. But I feel completely safe in saying that TiVo will resolve any outstanding issues with the software.

And we're fortunate that TiVo employees actually post here from time to time - they don't have to. I own many other products where the support staff doesn't participate in product forums, and there's no way to put a "face" with a name.

So yeah, everyone keep the faith - it'll be ok.

I have no stake in TiVo other than the equipment I own. And I don't consider myself a "fanboy" or anything, just someone who's had pretty good luck with a damn fine product. :)

10. doormat

doormat Member

Sep 15, 2004
    Vegas
    I'll be eagerly waiting for the update. And I'm ready to be a beta tester if called upon! I get MBing every minute or two on my SA cable cards.

11. Globular

Globular No time to hack

Jun 9, 2004
    Groton, MA USA
    Thank you Pony! I sincerely appreciate the update(s) here on the forum. The THD is a kicka** product, and this fix will make the wait worthwhile.

-Matt

12. TiVotion

TiVotion Early Adoptersaurus

Dec 6, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    <paging Chimpware>: You still here? It's always darkest before the dawn, man. :)

13. Chimpware

Chimpware New Member

Jan 30, 2002
    I am here, and hoping the same as many that this works. Last 7 days for me, but I had my hopes up before and they were crushed. I have kept my tongue as not too many people were intersted in what I was saying.

It's not fixed yet, but I hope they get it...

14. dolfer

dolfer Miles Standish Proud

Nov 3, 2000
    Milford,...
    Thanks for the update Pony! You have my express written consent to shoot the beta to my box right now!

My first big TV "event" is September 9th - The U.S. Open Men's Final and the premiere of Curb Your Enthusiasm. Let's shoot for that date as the target for the fix. ;)

15. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    +1 :up:

Your post sums it up quite well.

Given Tivo's track record, I really don't understand all the Chicken Little posts about various issues.

Yes, it would be nice if they were all fixed before release, but that's not always practical.

(and, thanks Pony!)

16. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    It's not that anyone wasn't interested, it's just that you didn't have anything new to say. :)

Glad to see you haven't given up. I hope you will post your experiences after the fix is released.

17. nenemc

nenemc New Member

Jun 12, 2007
    is this SA fix for pixelation/macroblocking (viewing quality issues) or is it for actually tuning in channels( which I'm having trouble with)?

18. Chimpware

Chimpware New Member

Jan 30, 2002
    Always posted new information, just no new positive results, and then refused to let the fanboys beat me down ;)

19. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    Except that no one was trying to beat you down ... just advocating a little patience and trying to discourage folks from falling into the Chicken Little syndrome because history has shown that Tivo would likely release a fix relatively quickly ... much as the initial post in this thread indicates. ;)

20. Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest
    Thanks for the latest info Pony. Am curious why the problems seem to be more related with the SA cards, hum...

Now if you'd say there is an software patch to enable the SATA port, that would make my day....

How soon after the Series 3 Tivo of last September 17th, was there a software update that enabled the SATA port on that model?