TiVo HD HDMI Issue?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by flc, Jul 27, 2007.

1. flc

flc New Member

Jul 27, 2007
    Huntersville...
    We bought the TiVo HD on Wednesday (which we've had to since replace) and when we got it set up we've noticed a few minor glitches when connected with an HDMI cable

firstly on any resolution above 480 there is a solid green line down the right hand side of the screen, slightly annoying but livable, I'm just wondering if anyone else has this issues as it's occurred on both systems we got.

The other issue we had on the first box was if we watched a recording (or anything other than live live tv) the screen would pixelate and jump around, thankfully the new box has sorted this.

2. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    what model of TV do you have and what resolutions does it support?
    Are you hooking startight to it with the cable or is there some video switcher or other device in between the TiVo and TV?

3. flc

flc New Member

Jul 27, 2007
    Huntersville...
    It's a Philips and it supports 1080i and 720p, it's connected directly from the TiVo to the TV

4. acheslow

acheslow New Member

Dec 14, 2000
    Bothell, WA
    Have you tried a different HDMI cable or tried the same cable with another component?

5. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    Does this happen with component cable ?

6. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    I used HDMI to my Samsung HL-S6187W for my review and I don't see any green lines.

7. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    What happens if you set it to fixed mode for 720p and for 1080i? Perhaps it only occurs on one of those modes?

8. megazone

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    I haven't tried 720p fixed, but I normally use 1080i fixed. I mostly used it in 1080i fixed, but I also played with Native.

9. rodalpho

rodalpho New Member

Sep 12, 2006
    Does the line "flicker", or is it solid?

If it flickers, your TV probably isn't overscanning. What you're seeing is the closed caption information.

10. flc

flc New Member

Jul 27, 2007
    Huntersville...
    It doesnt flicker, it's solid, and appears in the TiVo menus also.

We've tried 2 different brands of HDMI and both gave the same result, and unfortunately we dont have anything else that outputs HDMI to test this on, this is the first time we've used it

changing the formats makes no difference, fixed, hybrid, native all green lines

11. rodalpho

rodalpho New Member

Sep 12, 2006
    Weird. Sounds like a bug somewhere; if you replaced your tivo it can't be a hardware issue. Try calling tivo customer care and complaining. Until then just use component, it looks identical anyway.

12. bareyb

bareyb Under Maintenance TCF Club

Dec 1, 2000
    Silicon Valley
    Sounds like your TV's HDMI input might have a problem or perhaps some other problem with the TV. Not a happy prospect, but worth considering. It seems others are using HDMI and it's working okay. If both Tivos are doing the same thing it makes me wonder if the TV might not be the culprit. You'd have to swap TV's or try another HDMI source to know for sure.

13. kennedy

kennedy Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Northeast Ohio
    I have a philips set and had a similar problem with another component. The TV remote has a circular input ring on it. This ring can move the picture up/down/left/right. Try to move the picture around to see if you can eliminate the green line.

14. AnteL0pe

AnteL0pe the anti-haX0r

Oct 1, 2004
    Washington...
    using 1080i fixed probably won't give you the best picture anyway. Either let the tv display the signal in its native resolution pr fix it at 720p.

15. megazone

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    It depends on the set. My set is 1080p native, so I use 1080i fixed and let the set de-interlace. At 720p it would have to scale everything, and any 1080i content would be scaled and de-interlaced by the TiVo, then re-scaled by the TV.

I used to run Native, the picture wasn't better and it made the TV got nuts for a second each time the resolution changed as it locked onto the new signal.

16. bareyb

Dec 1, 2000
    Silicon Valley

I never could get used to the funky resolution changing and it and it was a happy day when somebody on these boards mentioned they had started using "1080i fixed" and it had made all the switching around weirdness stop. It cured one of the only problems I had with way the new HD stuff worked. It'll be nice if one day they can all just broadcast the same resolution and 16:9 but I'm guessing that may be a long way off. :p

17. dvr4me

dvr4me New Member

Jul 10, 2007
    My TV also does funky flashing when switching resolutions. I have mine set to 1080i fixed (it's a 1080p LCD) and it works great. It does stretch the 480i screens so people appear a bit wide, but I much prefer the full screen stretched look to the black sidebars and the funky TV resolution switch.

I have seen the green and purple lines during a brief moment during a resolution switch. I was able to take a picture of it:

[​IMG]

This is an image taken when changing the channel from a 1080i HD channel to a 480p channel. They only appear for a fraction of a second as the TV switches resolution. I would have to make a guess that your TV isn't quite shifting the image far enough to the right. There may be a setting on your TV to adjust the image. I'm pretty sure my Westinghouse has that function (though I've not needed to use it).

18. flc

flc New Member

Jul 27, 2007
    Huntersville...
    We use the 1080i fixed format as anything else causes a brief flickering when changing resolutions, and regular 480i looks OK upscaled to 1080i.

I do think it's a TV issue now, I've not seen a place where we can adjust the screen area yet, but I'm looking into it

thanks for the advise

19. flc

flc New Member

Jul 27, 2007
    Huntersville...
    This solved it!

I feel somewhat retarded now ;)

I was looking in the setup menus for this and never thought to press the buttons outside of it

20. bareyb

Dec 1, 2000
    Silicon Valley
    Awesome. The power of the forum at work. :up: