TiVo HD HDMI Input Not Working

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by EchoBravo, Sep 19, 2008.

1. EchoBravo

EchoBravo TV-MA LSV

Apr 20, 2002
    PHX, AZ

Advertisements

Setup: Tivo HD + LG plasma w/3 HDMI inputs + DVD player.

I wanted to hook TiVo into one of the HDMIs and use AV/component for the older DVD player.

Both the TiVo and the DVD player work using AV/component. The TiVo does not work using HDMI. I've tried all 3 HDMI inputs.

On the LG TV's input menu, it shows the status of all the inputs. The ones that have a cable to them are in color -- kind of pseudo-photo-realistic icons. The ones that don't have a cable to them are greyed out and unselectable.

The TV does recognize that there is something plugged into one of its HDMI ports. The TiVo, however, when I go to Account & System Information > System Information shows "Not Connected" under HDMI. That is, the TiVo doesn't recognize that there's an HDMI cable between itself and the TV.

Whenever I select "HDMI 3" on the TV's input menu, the TV goes to a black screen with the message "No Signal." And again, I've tried all 3 HDMI inputs.

What am I missing here?

2. Raygun

Raygun New Member

Aug 8, 2008
    I ran into this same problem with my HP Plasma TV. The only way I could get it to work is to set the TV on the HDMI port for the Tivo, and reboot the Tivo.
    I have the component video hooked the other TVs in the house, however I will get a message on the screen that says something about HDMI support periodically. To clear this I just need to turn on the HP and switch to the Tivo HDMI port and it goes away for about a day. I think this must be an HDCP issue with the HP, because I can hook a 50 HDMI cable to the Tivo and connect it to my Samsung or Vizio and not have any problems.

I also had the same issue with the HP when I plugged my MCE box into an HDMI port expander and ran it to all the TVs. The HP would work initially, however when I switched inputs and went back it would not connect. I fixed this problem with an HDMI extender from Monoprice. I tried to move the inline extender closer to the TV, but I flipped the link and source connections and that was the end of the extender.

I think some TVs just don't keep the necessary communication on the HDMI to maintain the connection.
    The 3 1/2 year old also learned a few new words during this experience.

Good luck

3. rocko

rocko Cuckoo for TiVo

Oct 29, 2002
    Northeast...
    If you can see the System Info screen telling you there's nothing connecto to HDMI I'm guessing that you have both the component and HDMI cables hooked up and you're looking at the component input.

I've never had luck connecting both component and HDMI at the same time. Do you have the same problem if you disconnect the component cables and just use the HDMI cable?

4. EchoBravo

EchoBravo TV-MA LSV

Apr 20, 2002
    PHX, AZ
    Yeah. The result was the same whether the component cables were in or not.

My kid's 4. I wasn't as good a dad as I could've been over the past 48 hours. I'll have to make it up to him this weekend. It's amazing how forgiving they are this young.

I gave up on the HDMI. I'm using component for both the TiVo HD and my aging DVD player (which still works just fine, thank you very much). I bought a cheap box that everything plugs into... And you push a button to select between them, with everything into AV1 on the plasma. I know there's a fancy word for that box, but my brain is fried right now.

Thanks for your suggestions, guys.

I'm about 90% happy with my install now and can go back and tweak things sometime later... Or not. ;-)