TiVo HD HDCP Issue

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by BrennanU, Oct 16, 2010.

1. BrennanU

BrennanU New Member

Dec 31, 2006
    Ohio

Advertisements

Hello all, I have a TiVo HD unit that has been working fine for three years, with the exception of a hard drive replacement. Recently, the HDMI output has stopped working. It will display output for "Welcome- Powering Up" but after that, there is only output on the component and composite outputs. At the recommendation of TiVo and Samsung, I have tried a different cable and a different Samsung TV. I continue to have the same problem. I have also tried an HDMI dvd player which works fine on both tvs.

TiVo suggests that it is an HDCP problem, which I would tend to agree with. They say that it is Samsungs problem. I am not sure how this could be because I have tried it on two different TVs, with the same problem.

TiVo says that they will replace the unit for me for $79, but they are not sure that will fix the problem.

Any Thoughts?

Thanks,
    Brennan U.

2. BrennanU

BrennanU New Member

Dec 31, 2006
    Ohio
    Anyone?

3. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Can you find, from a friend, another TiVo-HD to try, or your in the old catch 22 problem, anybody can guess at the solution, but nobody on this form could know for sure what your problem is.

4. busterpuff

busterpuff New Member

Dec 22, 2008
    Hi - I'm having the same issue. I have the component inputs going directly to my TV which work fine, but the HDMI going through a reciever, and I got a "HDCP Error" message on the receiver's message screen. There's no signal coming from the HDMI port on the Tivo after the "Warming up..." screen part of a reboot. I've eliminated the HDMI cable, the port on the receiver, and the connections with the TV as suspects through swapping components.
    I recently had a power surge in my apartment, but everything's protected by a Monster surge protector, so I would hope that it's not anything fried inside. Could it be a new version of the software that's causing an issue now with the HDMI?

5. grantsa4

grantsa4 New Member

Jun 14, 2007

Advertisements

I had the same problem. HDMI was working fine and then one day it stopped. Tivo customer service was useless so I am just using component cables. Not what I wanted, but can't seem to find any other solution

6. alexofindy

alexofindy Member

Apr 15, 2010
    As I understand it, HDCP is only required for some hi-def sources, most notably blu-ray players.

So the question is - does the tivo require an HDCP-capable TV for it's HDMI connection (if if it doesn't legally need to). I don't know, but I would bet the answer is no. And it probably is "no" if you view an over-the-air high def local channel, or just the tivo menus.

So, since you've already tried a new cable and a second tv, I would guess there's a hardware failure in the HDMI port of your tivo.

7. windsurfdog

windsurfdog Hoof Hearted?

May 1, 2009
    I have passed on the HDMI connection in favor of component video and optical audio from my TP to my Denon receiver just because of the HDCP garbage. There is DEFINITELY no difference in either audio or video between the HDMI and the component/optical audio connections...the only difference being the use of 2 cables and, more importantly, none of the HDCP garbage. Do yourself a favor and can the HDMI/HDCP junk.

8. ness282

ness282 New Member

Oct 23, 2010
    The answer is yes. Apparently in series 3 you need HDCP in order to record shows coming over the HDMI, and in series 4 you need the HDCP signal to view, otherwise you get the error. I had a technician get my Tivo up and running this morning, worked fine. Came back ~6 hours later and getting a HDCP error. Tivo support is absolutely useless. I saw on a forum to try rebooting the tv (unplug and plug back in), which worked fine. My problem is that I assume after x hours on standby my tv stops sending and HDCP signal. This seems ridiculous to me, I had no idea TiVo's had this

9. ness282

ness282 New Member

Oct 23, 2010
    So after Tivo punts and says use the workaround of using a component cable (don't see the point of DRM if you can easily just avoid it with a different cable), or they say to update your tv's firmware. After calling LG they were no use and couldn't even tell me how to check my firmware. After poking around online apparently there is a service menu you access by pushing menu on the remote and tv at the same time. No firmware info but there was a 2 hour shut off option that was enabled. Guessing that was my problem, hopefully I won't have any more problems, but we'll see tomorrow morning.

10. alexofindy

alexofindy Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Not all of this makes sense to me. First, HDCP is designed to protect the digital TV signal going from a source (e.g., a Blu-ray player, or possibly the TiVo) to a television. It should have no effect on whether or not a TiVo will record a show - there are others forms of DRM for that, though.

It is possible (though I would think unlikely) that the TiVo would require a HDCP electronic handshake before it will display a show via a HDMI connection. As I mentioned, this might be required for some DRM protected HD cable shows, but it wouldn't be required for a show the TiVo gets from an over-the-air high-def station - those signals are unencrypted. Thus, I would be very surprised if HDCP issues would cause the HDMI connection to fail completely, as the OP reported.

But TiVo should know the answer to this. It seems a shame we can't get a complete answer on whether and when TiVo requires an HDCP handshake (with a television display) to activate the HDMI connection. TiVo - are you listening?

Finally, you report getting an HDCP "error" - was there a message displayed somewhere? There usually is a message displayed when it's an HDCP issue. The OP simply reported that his HDMI didn't work, without mentioning seeing an error message.

Now you know why I haven't run out and purchased a collection of Blu-ray disks! But I'm getting off topic.....

11. ness282

ness282 New Member

Oct 23, 2010
    You are correct in that the tivo 4 does not require the HDCP connection to record, however it requires to display any video over HDMI, live tv, recording, and netflix doesn't work but I don't get the error. I was unclear and obviously off topic for the OP. As I have a premiere I'm not sure if it would produce the same error, however TiVo's website says HD's only require HDCP to play recorded shows. In addition I can see both hd and sd menus with no issue. When you try to see live tv or a recorded show you get the short error: HDMI connection not permitted, and it expands to read
    "The TV or audio receiver is not compatible with HDCP digital rights management standards. Unplug the HDMI cable between the DVR and the TV or audio receiver.
    Use the supplied component video cable instead to connect video from the DVR to the TV. You will need to connect a separate cable to the same TV input for audio.
    If you need help see the Start Here poster of visit TiVo Customer Support."
    Dumb on so many levels. Anyway I guess I was focused on my problems. OP your HDMI port is probably bunk (although HD's could deal with a lack of HDCP connection differently). But anyone with advice for me would be greatly appreciated.

12. Mike-Wolf

Mike-Wolf New Member

Feb 25, 2013
    I know this is an old thread but for those who are recently coming across with this problem, has a resolution been found? ness282, after turning off the two hour timer, did that resolve your problem?

13. Krellion

Krellion ...

May 17, 2002
    Hampton, VA
    I had this same issue with my TiVo HD and ended up switching it over to the component connection. I suspect that the HDCP chip in the TiVo (or maybe the TV, but more likely the former due to other people having the same issue) has failed. The only real fix would be to send the unit to TiVo for repair or replacement.