Tivo HD HD replacement

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Kipp Jones, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Kipp Jones

Kipp Jones AVS Heavy Hitter

Nov 11, 2006
    IL

Advertisements

My Tivo HD appears to have a drive failure. It started with the screen freezing and now I cannot get past the start up screen. The HD is hot as hell. What drive should I purchase for replacement and what type of drive is the correct application. I would like to take the opportunity to upgrade to a larger size drive if applicable.

Your thoughts, suggestions and guidance is appreciated.

Thanks.

The wife is growing impatient. :eek::eek::eek:

2. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=370784

Western Digital "Green" 1TB AV-GP WD10EVVS drive

The last time I upgraded drives I bought from another forum member (drey), he sells drives formatted for Tivo on ebay. Sure I could have formatted the drive myself but I didn't have the adapter cables and buying a drive ready to pop in saved me time, besides it wasn't that much more than the drive cost alone. And drey was certainly much less expensive than other places that sell Tivo ready drives.

3. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    If you are using a CableCARD (or 2) a major advantage of the WinMFS method described in the Drive Expansion thread is that you do NOT have to have your CableCARD(s) re-paired (i.e., reinstalled) by the cable co. A pre-loaded drive, or loading it yourself with Instant Cake, will require this to be done.

Of course if your current drive is so bad that the TiVo system can't be copied from it by WinMFS, you can't do the WinMFS thing. If you do purchase a fresh new drive, I strongly recommend performing the mfr's extended diagnostics test on it before using it, even though it may take many hours. Better to find out it's bad then, rather than after it's in your TiVo.

4. filmont

filmont New Member

Jun 29, 2008
    I just swapped in a Hitachi HD3100 1TB drive. It's been running just shy of a week w/o any issues. It was on sale fro ~$70 from newegg. It was my first upgrade on a Tivo and I didn't have major issues with it.

5. Kipp Jones

Nov 11, 2006
    IL

Advertisements

What did you need to do with the new drive to prepare it so it worked? My original drive is dead.

6. Interpol

Interpol New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    The easiest way would be to just buy a pre-formatted replacement drive from Weaknees, but I would make 100% sure that your original drive is dead first.

7. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Yea you can do this, if you want to pay more. Just buy a pre-formatted drive from drey instead.

8. Kipp Jones

Nov 11, 2006
    IL
    I wanted to get back to everyone. I ended up buying a drive (1TB) from DVR Guy on Ebay. The unit is back online and I am good to go. Thanks everyone.

9. chowdery

chowdery New Member

May 20, 2010
    Wishing I'd seen this thread before. I already spent the $ on the WD 10EVDS not knowing that the cable cards were dependent on the drive. Does Comcast really have to come out to fix this for me if I create an all-new image from something like InstantCake? My original drive is dead and won't backup.