TiVo HD Hard Drive Upgrade Issue--Help!

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by stream, Aug 25, 2007.

1. stream

stream New Member

Jul 25, 2007
    San...
    I downloaded WinMFS and unzipped, and turned off PC. Removed HD from TiVo and installed in PC. Restarted PC, launched WinMFS. Clicked on file, select drive. But there are no drives shown in wither the A drive or B drive sections. I tried several times shutting the PC off, and disconnecting/reconnecting the SATA and power cables. Even tried all the available SATA connections on motherboard (Dell Dimension 9100).

Any suggestions?

2. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    What you are doing should work. Sounds like the drive isn't being recognized by the PC, though sounds suspect that you wouldn't see it on any SATA port.

Does the PC see the hard drive (e.g. in BIOS setup)?

3. stream

stream New Member

Jul 25, 2007
    San...
    Based on the post above by jfh3, I went into the PC system setup screen, and SATA0 was on, but SATA1 - SATA3 were off, so I turned on SATA1, and bingo! Thanks. :up:

Did a backup & restore. First tried to do MFSCopy, but it wanted a destination drive, and since my PC only had 1 extra HD power connector (while it had 3 extra SATA connections), I couldn't connect the old & new TiVo drives at the same time.

Got a WD 500GB drive, so I now have 64 hours of HD recording capacity--that should last for a while!

Also used the Hitachi feature tool from here: http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm to enable automatic acoustic management.

Excluding the time I spent spinning my wheels trying to figure out why the drive wasn't recognized by my PC :( , the whole process took about half an hour.

4. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    Cool - glad to hear you got it working.

As for 64 hours of HD recording capacity lasting for a while .... HAHAHAHAHAHA ! :D

(You'll be surprised how fast that'll go)

May want to get a power splitter for when you want to copy your 500GB drive to a larger drive ... :)

5. stream

stream New Member

Jul 25, 2007
    San...
    I hear you...now you have me thinking about getting a 750GB. ;)

6. TXTivoUser

TXTivoUser Jeep Ninja

Nov 27, 2002
    Denton, Texas
    Go buy your 750 and PM me with a price on your 500. :up: :D

I sure would hate to know that you're 'suffering' with *only* 500g. :p

7. jmpage2

jmpage2 Active Member

Jan 20, 2004
    I upgraded to a 500GB drive and it was painless. Will upgrade to 1TB drives when they come down to the $99 that I paid for the 500GB model.

If you use the "supersize" filesystem option you should actually get an estimated 70 hours of HD recording. Since we don't archive programs on our Tivo for long term viewing, should be more than enough space for us for quite some time.