Tivo HD freezes only when hooked to cable

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by jjmel, Oct 26, 2009.

1. jjmel

jjmel New Member

Jan 8, 2008

Advertisements

Anyone have some tips or advice regarding TivoHD freezing?

Our HD Tivo spontaneously re-booted this afternoon, and then was totally frozen after the reboot. It was on the main menu, but was completely unresponsive to either the remote or the controls directly on the box. Read some info on tivo site, and unplugged the cable connection and re-booted again. Seemed fine, was able to see all recordings again (thank goodness!). But then when we plugged in the cable, the whole thing froze again. It actually worked briefly but very slowly and then froze completely.

Our other Tivo (series 2) is working fine and the cable on that tv is working fine.

So, I'm wondering if the issue is the harddrive or the cable cards? Seems most likely cable cards?

We have Tivo manufactured HD with the cable card slots in the back and two cable cards. I am very non-technical, so I'm hoping if the cable company replaces the cable cards it might just fix the problem?

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks very much!!

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    I think the cable is causing this problem, the signal is coming in too strong. The Series 3/HD/XL has tuners that are more sensitive than the Series 2.

Try getting some attenuators of various dB reductions to try to get the signal strength down to just under 100%. There is a signal meter under the settings / channels menu of the S3/HD/XL.

3. CrispyCritter

CrispyCritter Purple Ribbon Wearer

Feb 28, 2001
    North...
    It definitely could be the signal, but from your description I would suspect it's a hardware problem with the TiVo tuner itself. Signal strength problems normally show up more gradually, or if this sudden would normally affect the S2 as well.

It unfortunately is probably not the cablecard, though it's just faintly possible. I'd call TiVo and see what they suggest. It's almost certainly not the hard-drive.

I would also run it without the cable and use TiVo Desktop or MRV to copy any saved shows you care about to another PC or TiVo. With hardware issues, you may lose your shows at any time.

4. jjmel

jjmel New Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Thanks for the very fast replies! Wow! I'm going to call Tivo today and see if they can help. Will post any solutions that work!

5. jjmel

jjmel New Member

Jan 8, 2008

Advertisements

So I called Tivo tech support and they had never heard of this problem before. The rep had me remove the 2 cable cards, but plug in the cable cord and then reboot. I did this and it seemed to work fine after that, but of course only can watch or record one show without the cards.

Then called cable company to ask for new cable cards since that seemed the likely culprit. They asked me to put the cards back in and 'pinged' them. Said all was fine.

Since then, cable/tivo are working fine, cable cards are fine - can successfully record on both cable cards. No freezing all day. Not sure why this resolved anything, but I'm backing up my recordings just in case!

Thanks again for quick replies and advice.