1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TiVo HD freezes and/or reboots daily

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by CaseyJ, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Feb 7, 2018 #1 of 12
    CaseyJ

CaseyJ Always read the plaque

Apr 26, 2017
    I have 2 TiVo HDs (652s). One reboots or freezes multiple times a day. This has gotten steadily worse since I got it in Dec 2103, when it would reboot once every couple months which I thought that was just normal activity.

I've replaced the hard drive with 2 other drives, one new and one previously used in a cable DVR. I've swapped hard drives and power supplies (both are 3Y supplies) between TiVos. I've replaced all caps except the large one in both supplies. I've even swapped front panel displays and fans, and loaded fresh image on the hard drive. No change to either TiVo's behavior. TiVo 1 reboots and freezes multiple times daily and TiVo 2 never does.

Any ideas on what's wrong and how to fix it?

2. Feb 7, 2018 #2 of 12
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Mostly 2 possibilities, hard drive and power supply.

Hard drives cannot be power hungry as the power supply cannot handle them.
    Recheck the power supply, bad caps may not be noticable.

Teeps likes this.
  3. Feb 9, 2018 #3 of 12
    CaseyJ

Apr 26, 2017
    Thanks for the reply. Here are the voltages from the power supplies:
    PS1 in TiVo 1 with only motherboard, fan, and front display 3.336, 4.89, 12.2
    Plus the hard drive 3.335, 4.91, 11.85

PS2 in TiVo 2 with only motherboard, fan, and front display 3.329, 4.90, 12.26
    Plus the hard drive 3.329, 4.94, 11.73

All the electrolytic caps on both supplies have been replaced except the large on across the 120 V line.

I currently have an original 160GB drive (only used for about a year) in TiVo 1 with the image you provided (thanks again). So far I've had 4 drives and always have reboots in TiVo 1 and never in TiVo 2. One of those drives is now in an external enclosure and connected to my Bolt without issues for almost a year.

I suspect this is a motherboard issue since that is the only hardware that has a correlation to the problem.

Does anyone have any insights on further troubleshooting?

4. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Try a UPS with auto votage regulaion. One of my S3 will freeze if it's not plugged into a UPS.

5. CaseyJ

Apr 26, 2017
    Thanks. That's a good suggestion. I've had it on an APC UPS most of the time, but I've also tried it plugged directly in the wall outlet also. Reboots and freezes both ways. I will try a different UPS.

6. CaseyJ

Apr 26, 2017
    The second UPS made no change. However, one of the very few post of problems similar to this suggested putting the unit in standby. This has shown at least some success. It has been in standby for several days recording two 12 hour manual recordings per day with zero reboots. I have not had the opportunity to try watching anything on this TiVo during this time.

So now the questions are what does standby do? What functions are turned off, and what circuits does that relate to?

7. CaseyJ

Apr 26, 2017
    The best explanation of standby for a series 3 I found is here:
    Standby mode: Good or bad long-term?

In the same thread a user experiencing reboots on an THD in 2009 found standby reduced the frequency.
    Standby mode: Good or bad long-term?

I don't yet understand the link between shutting off the video output and fewer reboots. The power reduction seems negligible to be supply related. Perhaps there's components in the video out circuit that are going bad.

8. shwru980r

Jun 22, 2008
    Another thing I read to try was to put the tivo next to a PC and power the Tivo hard drive with a power cable from the pc to take the load off of the Tivo power supply. Seems like standby is taking some load off of the power supply and no matter how insignificant that load is perceived to be, it could be the tipping point.

9. shwru980r

Jun 22, 2008
    Are the 12 hour recordings running at the same time and utilizing both tuners?

10. CaseyJ

Apr 26, 2017
    The recordings are midnight to noon and noon to midnight on the same OTA HD channel. The other tuner is set to a non-existent channel (0).

I don't have a tower PC to power the hard drive. However I do have a second TiVo HD. I could power the hard drive from one power supply, and the motherboard, fan, and front display from a second power supply. I will give that a try.

11. shwru980r

Jun 22, 2008
    It would be interesting to see what your Tivo does with 2 recordings running at the same time in standby.

12. CaseyJ

Apr 26, 2017
    I'll test 2 simultaneous hi-def recordings while on standby and post the results.

I did test with the motherboard, fan, and front display, on one THD power supply and the hard drive on a second THD power supply. No change. Reboots in 30 minutes.

I'm not 100% pleased with that setup though, as it keeps both power supplies in the system. If there is some glitch that happens to affect both power supplies ability to provide consistent power to the hard drives, I haven't eliminated that problem. I have an external hard drive enclosure that I can use to power the hard drive. I'll test that setup in a couple days.

Finally I've been thinking about what happens while the unit is in standby. I know that the video output circuits (composite, component, and HDMI) are shut off. I think that the read of the video file from the hard drive are also stopped. This points to a less taxed CPU, data bus, and hard drive. It's been awhile since I've run the manufacturers test to check for errors on either of the drives in both tivo's lately. So I will do that also.