TiVo HD DVR

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by patcampbell, Aug 29, 2007.

1. patcampbell

patcampbell New Member

Aug 28, 2007
    Does the TiVo HD DVR (the 180 hour model) only come with cablecard slots? I saw one in a local store that did not have the slots, but I cannot seem to find that model on the Tivo website. I do NOT want cablecard slots...does the Tivo website sell those versions? Thanks for any help you can provide. :confused:

2. mchips

mchips TiVo Fanatic

Feb 21, 2003
    Midwest
    The TiVo HD is meant to work with CableCards, for HD and/or SD digital cable... if you only want to watch analog cable, or will be using it with a cable box for SD digital cable (SD only of course; not HDTV), then you'll want to look at the TiVo® Series2™ DT...

See here:

https://www3.tivo.com/store/boxes.do

3. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Keep in mind that CableCards are your only option to record high-definition from digital cable.

You cannot record HDTV from a cable box.

4. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    There is no Tivo HD box without CableCARDs (not counting the now-discontinued HR10-250 model for DirecTV)

5. mchips

mchips TiVo Fanatic

Feb 21, 2003
    Midwest
    Perhaps the OP should clarify whether he/she is wanting to record HDTV, or Standard def.

The OP may be new to TiVo, and only knows about the TiVo HD, and therefore asked about a TiVo HD without CCs, but really meant just a TiVo without CCs.. ??

In summary, for the OP:
    • TiVo HD / Series 3 = HDTV = CableCards (CableCards are only needed if you want to record HDTV or digital cable with a TiVo); these boxes will record both standard def. and HDTV, but do not require CableCards and will record analog standard def. cable just fine without CableCards
    • TiVo Series 2 DT = SDTV (standard def.) only, analog and/or standard def digital cable (with a cable box), but not HDTV, and therefore no CableCard slots
    So, if the OP does not want to record/watch HDTV, then any of the above TiVo models will work. But if the OP wants to record/watch HDTV, then a TiVo HD/Series 3 with CableCards is required.

If the OP has DirecTV, then that's another issue altogether..

6. LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach Active Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Drexel Hill, PA
    Perpahs you were looking at a Series 3 TiVo. Those have the cable card slots in the back of the unit. The TiVo HD has them in the front.

7. Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest
    I can only guess as to the reason for the CC slots placed on the rear panel, but prefer the front access as is the case with the Tivo HD...

Still, the button to eject the card takes getting used to...

8. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Although the OP did not provide much detail on what he wants (only on what he does not want) he should be aware that the Tivo HD does a fine job of recording HD with an OTA antenna and provides full functionality this way. This function can also be supplemented with analog cable, all without using cablecards.

9. 20TIL6

20TIL6 BaDoop BaDoop BaDoop

Sep 7, 2006
    Cypress, TX
    TiVo HD has its slots behind a little fold-down door on the bottom front of the unit. BTW, you don't have to use cablecards if you are only interested in OTA or analog cable.

10. PopcornGuy

PopcornGuy New Member

Apr 6, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    I've had my S3 since January and have never removed the cablecards. I can only guess as to the reason for the CC slots placed on the FRONT panel.

11. cr33p

cr33p New Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Ann Arbor MI
    One reason would be when the dumb a** Comcast guy shows up and starts pushing around all of your A/V equipment that has been installed very nicely in a tight spot, when he starts reaching around to install god knows how many cable cards to get the unit to work there are bound to be some problems, now with it in the front it makes it quite easy and you dont even have to move the unit at all.

12. PopcornGuy

PopcornGuy New Member

Apr 6, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Good point. There must have been quite a bit of negative feedback with the original S3 design to get them to move the CC slots. Front inputs on any A/V item that also has rear inputs have traditionally been for frequent connect/disconnect items (such as camcorders, etc.). Maybe TiVo is just now anticipating frequent CC issues?

13. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Or maybe TiVo is making it easy on CableCard installers to not have to unplug a box to insert CableCards due to them being in the back.

14. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    I ran extra long cables to my Series3 and set it out on a table before the installer showed up. I didn't want him messing with my rack of equipment to get those cards installed.

As for the eject button, anyone who has ever used a laptop computer with a PCMCIA slot has seen the same eject button before. That form factor has been around for more than 10 years.

15. captain_video

captain_video Member

Feb 28, 2002
    Perhaps it's the same rationale for moving the access card slots on the original DTivos from the back to the front with the S2 DTivos. It's easier to access and doesn't require that the entire unit be turned around to insert the cards. OTOH, once the cards have been inserted and activated, there's no reason to ever remove them until you take the unit out of service.

Cablecards use the same profile as standard PCMCIA cards found in laptops. While I don't have a Tivo HD (I have two S3's), the eject buttons on the S3 card slots are the same used on every laptop PC in existence. I'm assuming it's the same on the Tivo HD.

16. bdlucas

bdlucas Right side up again.

Feb 15, 2004
    Exurbia
    Not completely true - using a Tivo HD, without installed CableCards, you can record the unencrypted QAM high-def locals that many cable networks carry. However, you won't have the help of guide information from TiVo for those channels...