Tivo HD DVR - THR22-100 - It's here - It's here

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by oldsurferjoe, Dec 12, 2011.

1. oldsurferjoe

oldsurferjoe New Member

Jul 25, 2002
    California
    I am so happy - I got my new Tivo today! Its up and running - I will report more later. So far very snappy! My only thoughts are it - sure looks like a HR21 box - what took so long!

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    Sweet! It's actually an HR22 hardware platform, with some modifications and different software. Post back your observations as you get it up and running.

3. oldsurferjoe

oldsurferjoe New Member

Jul 25, 2002
    California
    12/12/11
    Software Version: 0178
    Software Version ID: 11.2.2.01.3.627

Got it to work with my Logitech Harmony 880 - I will need to custom do some buttons like thumbs up and thumbs down.

So far got my season passes started - missing some things in search but that will iron out over the next day or so!

We are old users and directv customer since 1997 so we are grand fathered in on east and west coast feeds!

So far it is much clearer visually UI wise. The TV picture does seem sharper than our HR10-250's and the surround sound seems better.

God is it better than our HR21's

Please all let me know your thoughts too!

4. msmart

msmart New Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Does it allow shows to be downloaded to the PC via TiVoToGo?

5. TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    No.

It's not a TiVo, but a D* receiver with TiVo software, so don't expect ALL the features of a TiVo product.

6. BoxerMom

BoxerMom New Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Northeast...
    Congrats!!! Looking forward to hearing about it!
    Waiting for mine which is due this afternoon!

7. oldsurferjoe

oldsurferjoe New Member

Jul 25, 2002
    California
    I agree - it makes you wonder what the heck took so long.

The neat thing about tivo though - hacks - come on you guys make it better.

We love it so far - All I wanted was a good TIVO. I have a little computer hooked to the TV and and XBOX Elite V2 so for me it was all about the TIVO.

8. oldsurferjoe

oldsurferjoe New Member

Jul 25, 2002
    California
    Does not look like it - but remember its got all the guts so I think it can be improved with software updates.

Guys atleast they finally got the damn thing out!

9. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Until the introduction of the Series III, almost all TiVos were manufactured by someone else, including the original Series 1 DirecTiVo and (I think) the Series 2 DirecTiVo.

10. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    What about Go Back, from an external PC to the TiVo? HME functions?

11. ccostan

ccostan SemiSortAdvancedUser

Oct 25, 2001
    Brooklyn
    No Go Back or HME functions. Does include DirecTv on Demand functions and ability to use the Game Lounge and 'Mix Channels' from D*TV.

I'm pretty underwhelmed so far but WAS able to get the new Tivos by just committing to another 24 months. The free upgrade from SD to HD is pretty great obviously.

Carlo.

12. sjberra

sjberra New Member

May 16, 2005
    Doubt there will be any hacks for this one, that was one of the new features for the unit

13. msmart

msmart New Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Thx. I wont be touching it then.

14. BOBCAT

BOBCAT Member

Nov 28, 2002
    SF bay area
    All I want to do is put a 1TB drive in it. Looks like weaknees already has plans for a large hard drive.
    Hope that the front panel LED display isn't too bright for the bedroom.
    There is always duct tape if the dimming trick doesn't work on these.
    Perhaps a software update will have the dimming feature turned on.
    I hope that this box isn't a one shot deal.
    I hope down the road, D* comes out with a premium TiVo box like a THR24 that incorporates all of the features that the D* boxes have.
    I think that they kept this box very basic in order to be able to push their boxes with all of the wizz bang features.

15. patty1955

patty1955 New Member

Dec 15, 2011
    It's been a long time since we had a Tivo, so we jumped on it as soon as DirecTv made if available.
    My only issue is that it scans forward, but doesn't skip. The code Select - Play - Select - 3 - 0 - Select isn't working to make it skip.
    Any ideas?

16. midas

midas I heard that

Jun 1, 2000
    Montgomery,...
    You could try the DirecTV box method of doing a search for 30SKIP. No idea if that works or not since I don't have one yet.

17. ChristopherLee

ChristopherLee New Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Now that I have my THR22, where (and when?) will I be able to get a second remote? Supposedly you can't just get a Tivo remote, because the remote is customized for the Directv box. I want a second one so I can use the IR in the room it is in and the RF in another room.

18. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    Standard DirecTV remotes will work with the THR22.

19. patty1955

patty1955 New Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Well, skip30 didn't work. Does anyone have another suggestion?
    And, yes the DirecTv remote does work on the new Tivo. In some ways it actually works better. Hit List to go to you To Do List, Menu replaces the Tivo button. All the other buttons seem to work well too

20. midas

midas I heard that

Jun 1, 2000
    Montgomery,...
    Sorry it didn't work. Just a thought, when you earlier tried the S-P-S-30-S, did you remember that it had to be done while playing a recording rather than watching line TV.

Just taking a shot in the dark here.