TIVO HD DVR record dual HD off 2 antenna lines?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by jrod9707, Oct 14, 2007.

1. jrod9707

jrod9707 Member

Oct 14, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Hey guys I put an Antenna on the roof and I'm getting strong reception and am thinking about ditching cable(since most of what I watch is on locals anyway) and then just use this DVR to record local HD. The question I have is if I hook up both antenna lines will the Tivo unit record on both lines in HD? I couldn't find any talk about this previously when I searched for it.

2. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    You only need one antenna to record two shows (HD or not) at the same time.

3. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    What Arcady said -- you only need the one connection. DON'T connect the other coax line to the antenna -- that one is strictly for cable.

4. jrod9707

jrod9707 Member

Oct 14, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    --Thanks a lot for the info! In 6 months this will pay for itself. But the next comment the guy said don't plug it in the antenna port its strictly for cable>> Is that accurate because I know on the pictures theres a dedicated coax line for cable and one for antenna.

--I just want to double check but can you use both component and HDMI and analog out and toslink out at the same time for dual TV's?(I realize it will be the same station) I've got a projector and a flat screen.

Thanks again.

5. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    He meant that you shouldn't connect an antenna to the cable input. Only connect it to the antenna input.

You can use the HDMI and component at the same time, but some TV sets turn off HDCP handshaking when they are off, and this can cause your component output to become disabled. The only way to know for sure is to try it. If both displays will be on at the same time, then it should be fine.

The TOSlink output is active at all times.

6. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    Yes, this is what I meant. Sorry for any confusion.

7. hastypete

hastypete New Member

Oct 2, 2007
    I hear you. I just migrated to the TiVo HD from a Replay/DishNetwork setup.
    I'm allready saving money by not paying for the locals, but I've discovered that there is at max about 80 episodes / year that I actually record off of non OTA channels. And these episodes are all available at Amazon Unbox.

Satellite is costing me nearly $500/ year. So I am cancelling Sat and I'll be downloading Monk, Eureka, 4400, and a couple others directy from unbox.
    At max I'll be spending $200, which is quite a chunk of change less than $500.

I really love the unbox feature of the TiVo. I do miss being able to request shows from other Replay users for transfer over the internet for free. But even TiVo isn't perfect. I also miss the lifetime service of the Replay, but at $300 for 3 years, I'm still WAY ahead AND I get HD that DishNet wanted WAY too much for.

Anyway, that's my take on ditching cable/satellite. Maybe if enough people started doing this, they'd realize they charge too much But with the lemming nature of people, this will never happen.

8. Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    I almost could cancel cable... but CBS doesn't come in well enough, And the PBS station doesn't show up at all. And I'm in a rented place and can't put up an antenna; I'm stuck with rabbit ears.

9. jrod9707

jrod9707 Member

Oct 14, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Thanks for your input and I'll check into that unbox feature as well.Like I told the wife about is that a few years from now I'm sure we could still sell the TIVO for about $200 give or take on EBAY just like I did with our Replay unit.Thats why it's nice to buy those Circuit City warranties and sell the unit when there's 3-6 months left. Regardless its good to hear I'm not the only one thinking about ditching cable to take advantage of free crystal clear reception with a great record feature for $8.30 a month.Cheaper than paying the monthly $19 w/ time warner and you only receive locals, talk about a ripoff on that deal.

--On a side note and I'll probably search for this next but how do you like the music streaming all of my files are WMA and in folders for each artist they were ripped off the original CD. (anybody feel free to comment about this).

10. aristoBrat

aristoBrat Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2002
    Va Beach, VA
    Pretty much the same boat here, 'cept my yearly DirecTV bill is around $1000.

95% of what we watch is OTA HD, so I placed an order for two S3s today and expect to be canceling DirecTV tomorrow.

Pretty excited to be coming back to the TiVo family. :)